Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a fiberglass one piece front end for my 69 charger. I then bought a tilt kit but I need to find out how to set it up so the front end will slide forward so when I go to tilt it the bottom part of the fenders won't hit the doors. Last summer we went to the Portland Swap Meet, there was a guy with a 64 Malibu that had the front end slide forward - then tilt. I would appreciate it a lot if anybody could help me out or give any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well I've done 13 tilt front ends on cars ranging from a '56 chevy bel-air to a buggeye sprite, alot of them just to simplify things I cut the rear of the front fenders in half and mounted it permanatly to the car, give a custom look, solves the problem of it hitting the door, and works as a great step for working in those hard to reach mid car repairs, where you need all the room you can get.

If your hearts set on it moving outward, just fabriate a bearing asisted slide, half mounts to the frame, half to the hood hinges, but be sure to mount it on the underside so the weight of the front end doesn't tear the slide apart, unless of course its a nice sterdy slide, I made a few of them from aluminum stock and made a 2"x5" retangle box by welding C channel together with a small lip at the end to make sure the plate doesn't fall out, then mount the hinges to a steel or aluminum plate to fit inside with some small sealed bearings or roller bearings and your set, I've made about 3 pair of those, they seem to work well, theres thousands of things you could do thats only two ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts