Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question on the other forum and got little response...so I'll ask the experts !!

I'm doing a tilt front end on my truck and am looking for some type of padding to use between the hood and the cab cowl.Since this will show everytime the hood is open I want something that isn detracting from the look of my truck but will offer some protection from wear where the two pieces rub together...
any suggestions guys... some of you 3 piece hood guys should have some good ideas...

I've got about a 1/4" to use and maybe 1" wide

TIA

john

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
I replyed on the other forum , Go back to it and click on body and exterior and you can look it up. :D :D :D

[ March 19, 2002: Message edited by: Henry Highrise ]</p>

·
Registered
99 Posts
Steele Rubber makes a wide assortment of cowl rubber for use in this application. The particular type that comes to mind is the style that was used on my model 56S, 1940 Buick Super, but they sell versions like it cheaper in the "generic" style. It has a flat bottom (in various widths to choose from) and forms up to a "c" type channel that will fold almost flat when the hood is closed, sealing off the under hood from water, dirt, etc. When the hood is opened up, it will spring up slightly and is smooth and neat in appearence. It can be glued on with 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Steele catalog has pictures that you can refer to. They may even have a web site, if not, you can get the info from Hemmings Motor News at any good book store. Another option is to place about 1/2 to 3/4" rubber bumpers every 6-8" apart where your hood meets the cowl. Drill a hole, pop in the rubber bumper, and it's a done deal. Doesnt seal off the under hood as well, but easier to do and a little neater looking. Hope this helps...PACO

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
829 Posts
While this may seem hokie, I have seen Velcro used for this. Only use the soft "fuzzy" side (not the plastic loop side).

Another idea is J.C. Whitney (jcwhitney.com). They sell weatherstripping and their catalog shows cross sections so you can get an idea of what it looks like and what dimensions it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.