Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to pass the torch, My 17 year old grandson doesn't want to go to college. but enjoys working with his hands, He took some High School welding classes and learned more than I did 60 years ago when I took a couple welding classes for my engineering degree. He was thinking about building a "traditional hot rod like My brother and I did in the 50's then said He wants to finish a glass t bucket project in the farm shop 300 Miles south of where we now live. 2 of my sons do work there occasionally. The T bucket is on a CCR chassis I built 15 years ago. 350.,350 2- 4's, Mild street cam, Lincoln disc brakes, Another grandson living at home , going to a local college wants to get the 22 model T Speedster back on the road , The St Anthony sand dunes are just 45 minutes, so the kids might get the engine back in the sand rail, go through it, wiring brakes etc. I'll gide them , sit in my soft chair and watch.

·
Registered
13,932 Posts
At 82 I’m still out there in and under most every day but except for a pretty beat up heart, I’m doing pretty well for my age. My son and grandson have no automotive interest and never did. When I pass they’ll get to clean out the house and shop now garage. But since my son is deep into construction, he’ll find plenty of tools from rough carpentry to laying tile and everything between for fine carpentry, plumbing and electrical. My grandson, a 30 something, who is singularly into solar power and computers will find everything from my now broken hot rod, converted from hard disk to solid state memory Dell to my current project of brining a 1957 Zenith Trans-Oceanic back to life. That has sticker shock on the1L6 converter tube which is rare and sell for about 70 dollars which is a power factor (10 times) more expensive than most tubes, I’m currently in the horns of a dilemma as to whether buy a couple, three 1L6’ for my private reserve, convert to a 1R5 which requires rewiring some circuit pin outs at the tube or substituting a solid state developed replacement. Obviously either choice outside using a 1L6 destroys the antiquity thus value of the unit. But the future keeps on moving on and it looks like since no body is making these old tube replacements so that supply already is short of the need this will only get worse. The use of the 1R5 or the solid state substitution according to those that have done them first requires a realignment of the Intermediate Frequency (IF) section and folks report loosing the higher frequency meter bands in some but not all cases. So I’m still sitting on the fence about that damn tube.

Same goes for the Harleys, my progeny seems to have no interest in building motorcycles, like autos if you give them keys they’ll start it up and ride, but have no interest in things that require welding or wrenching. My brother is the same way if it flies, floats, or rolls and he has the keys then using it is just fine, but to build or fix not so much. He does have a 62 Corvette but most of the restoration work he hired out. My cousin with his kit California Special was the same his big effort beyond opening his wallet was to find a set of windshield wipers for it.

Meanwhile I‘ll be off to the garage, I’m still trying to organize the stuff from the shop into the garage and basement. We need a different house that is bigger, on more land, and has a detached shop. My wife wants a condo, says I need to act my age. Her dream for me is Bermuda shorts with matching belt and sandals (thank you Jimmy Buffett) mine is a black denim trousers and motorcycle boots (thank you Leiber and Stoller). But I have to say that the late 70’s and early 80’s are a big turning point by body and mind are a lot slower, stiffer and requires longer recover periods after big exertions. Accommodating old age is a huge mental effort between what you are used to doing and what you can do.

Bogie

·
Dimwit
S10 to late '30s coupe
186 Posts
You guys give me hope!
I'm looking to retire in a couple of years - 24 months from now, in fact. If I can get to as many years as you two have, maybe I WILL finish this project that's gathering surface rust in my garage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't forget the black leather jacket with an eagle on the back!

On another note, way back when, I was in the Saigon black market. Mama san had a Zenith Trans-Oceanic for sale. I'd always wanted one and knew they were worth a couple hundred dollars at the time. It worked in all the many bands and seemed in good shape. She was asking $40. I offered her $20, which she immediately accepted. I knew right then I should have offered $10. It was a good buy, nevertheless.

I'm glad you're hanging in their, Bogie. I certainly value your exceptionally deep store of knowledge and willingness to share it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts