Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 K5 with a 1986 305. I changed the timing set because the original was badly worn. Edelbrock Performer EPS intake and 1406 carb. The engine runs great at idle, but when I go to time it the mark on the distributor is off to the side at around 10 degrees ATDC. I retard the timing to where it should be, 10 degrees BTDC, and the engine won't hardly run and it diesels really bad when I shut it off. There is also no power. The harmonic balancer is good because I checked it after I changed the timing set. Any help is greatly appreciated guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When you changed the timing gear set were the dots on the crankshaft at 12:00 position and camshaft at 6:00 position? Do you remember where they were aligned when you took the old timing chain off? When checking the timing is the vacuum hose disconnected from the distributor and plugged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm using a timing light. I don't know the exact position of the timing, but when the light flashes for #1 the mark on the balancer is roughly 10 degrees clockwise on the balancer or advanced. I can't even retard the timing enough to get it back to zero without it trying to die.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Sounds like you might be 1 or 2 teeth off. Pull the number 1 spark plug and get the piston at TDC. Pop the cap to see which plug wire the rotor is pointing at. It ain't the correct way but you can rewire the cap starting with #1 plug wire at the tower the rotor is pointing. If it is pointing to #6 spark plug wire pull the distributor and rotate it 180*.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.