Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the site. I tried what it suggested at 12 degrees, hard to start now so I think Ill try 18 and see what happens.

Thanks,
Mike

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Thanks for the site. I tried what it suggested at 12 degrees, hard to start now so I think Ill try 18 and see what happens.

Thanks,
Mike
Most SBC engines- even w/a stock cam- will tolerate 10 degrees BTDC.

If by hard to start you mean the starter seems to drag, you need less advance as suggested by zildjian4life218. If you mean it turns over normally w/o any starter drag but takes a long time to start up, it may want a bit more timing, the choke may need adjustment, or your start-up procedure may need tweaking.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
That is a very good timing link. It says it all.

My mild performer cam likes 14 and 21 at 3000rpm from the manifold. The Vacuum advance is adjusted for 8-10 more at whatever inches of vacuum the turns are set.

For slow/hard cranking .Check the wires to the starter if there is only one small gauge from the battery. Wrap 2 same gauge wires to the starter together. It puts the circut in parallel . Doubles the amps to starter but keeps the voltage the same.

Like 2 sets of jumper cables on a dead battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.