Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing the timing chain and gear set and the clutch assembly very soon. I priced a few out,and the ZOOM double roller chain and gears are only 21.00 dollars, seems pretty cheap, is it an inferior product? Also looking to do the cluth and from what i heard, the Centerforce setup is suposed to be very good, the centerforce 2 is only 35 dollars more than the Centerforce 1, and it looks like it is a lot stronger. My engine is a 283 with 4 speed.
Any input will be appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
the zoom chain is a double chain not a roller the difference is cheap chains use a split bushing on the trunion. the roller uses a 360 degree "roller" to reduce friction and stretch. the only deal with the centerforce clutch it has easy pressure at low speeds but those flying weights make it a pain to powershift, if you lift when you shift it should be A1

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd go with a Cloyes street true roller set up. It cost about $53 from Jegs but is an excelent quality unit and last forever. Zoom and Hays each have a nice street/strip clutch/pressure plate/ throw out bearing sets at around $230 the Centerforce set is almost $100 more and probably overkill for your application. I use Zoom sets and have never had any problems with them. Iv'e never uesd CenterForce units so I can't really comment on them. I do see in Jegs where they say the CF1 and CF2 manitain stock pedal feel. It appears they are saying that it takes the same amount of pedal pressure to push their clutch in as the stock unit. The higher the preformance range for the pressure plate the more pedal pressure it takes to push the clutch in. This doesn't sound like a problem untill you get stuck in stop and go traffic and your leg mussels start cramping, your leg starts shaking and you find that you can't hold the clutch in anymore and have to pull out of line to give your leg a break.:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts