Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1965 Impala SS Convertible
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.I been leaking oil on my car since I bought it and I could not figure out where it was leaking from.I replaced the gasket on the oil pan and made sure all the bolts were tightned but it still leaks.Yesterday I was looking at the timing chain cover and I saw that there a bolt broken towards the bottom of the timing chain cover and I found that the oil was leaking from there.I was wondering if I could drill out where the old bolt broke off and re-tap my own bolt in there?I heard from some people that if I did that,then metal shavings would get inside the engine.Is that true?How do I go about fixing this broken bolt?MY car is a 1965 Chevy Impala with a 327.Thanks,

Eazy

·
Registered
136 Posts
the same thing happened to my friend except it was stripped, so we just drilled a hair bigger then re-taped a bigger bolt on the tranny pan. Buy a little tool called easy out you can get them at sears or candaian tire i know of forsure, and then just follw the instructions. You could also just drill out the snaped bolt and re-tap it with no bigger bolt that came out.

Lane

·
1965 Impala SS Convertible
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

But will metal shavings get in the Engine when I re tap it?Cause thats all I want to know.I Just wanna make sure that nuthing gets in the engine that could cause problems.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Grease your drill bit so it will pickup a lot of the shavings. However the bolt holes holding the timing cover on are not going into an oil passage. The only way you would get shavings is if you got them into the timing over and then ran the engine with them. Do this with the timing cover on, and then finish taking the timing cover off . . . clean the area . . . and then reinstall everything.

If you want to be extra cautious run the engine and then replace the oil checking the old filter for metal shavings. You can take it as far as you want for assurance but I think you will be fine. Use and easy out first and see if you cant just get it out and resuse the old before drilling and retapping it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.