Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two questions:

how long is a comp cam double roller timing chain good for. i had it on my engine for about 1200 miles then had to rebuild it because of slight knock.

also, how long can stock rod bolts be used for. mine were used for 1200 miles, can i reuse them, i know it is safe to replace but i am curious if it is alright. the engine had a slight knock but nothing big, that is was i am rebuilding.

oh yeah also what are the torque specs for the rod, main, and oil pump bolts?
thanks,
mike

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
for the rod bolts, as long as the threads are ok, the bolt is not stretched, and is tight in the rod(not easy to push out, and the cap needs a little persuasion to remove after being torqued) they should be fine. 1200 miles isn't far, i've seen stock engines rebuilt after 200,000+ miles re-useing the original rod bolts.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
If the chain is reasonably tight, it will be ok.

If you torqued the bolts correctly the first time and you are not racing it on the track, they should be ok.

Rods-45 lb. ft.
Mains-75 lb. ft. on a 4 bolt the outers are 65 lb. ft.
Oil pump-65 lb. ft.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay we have two different answers on the torque specs? which one is right? and i will be racing it occassionall and the stop light to stop light type. but it will mainly be a daily driver.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
The specs I posted came out of the GM manual.

Troy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.