Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the timing cover gasket and seal.
What is the best brand seal and part number I can buy.
This is the last one I want to buy.
I have a new balencer and am looking for a seal .

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I've had no problems from Felpro and NAPA seals. NAPA used to be the only place locally I could buy a single seal. Since then, Mr. Gasket and others have started selling seals on the performance parts asiles of the major parts stores. I have used a couple Mr. G. seals and have had no reported problems but the engines were gone from my sight shortly after being built so long term I cannot say. Be sure you lube the seal lips.

The thing that HAS been a problem is aftermarket timing covers having poorly located crank holes.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seal that I am replacing is a National rubber seal and I have a new sleeve on the balencer.

The cover is a factory steel cover on the ZZ 4 engine I did pick up a small gasket kit for a cam change and the seal in the kit did not have any numbers on it so I am just checking for the best one to replace.

The new seal "feels" softer than the old seal which has 40K and is 10 yrs old, I just did not like it as there was no numbers on it (cheap)!!

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have always used Fel-Pro or National seals from NAPA. Most problem leaks from the timing chain cover seal are due to a worn Harmonic balancer. It is hard to believe the seal wears a groove on the balancer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up a Timkin seal #9845 he said it was a Viton seal and should be good for 100K !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.