Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got my re-build sbc 400 running, and noticed that it leaks quite much oil... i suspect that i just installed the seal somehow incorrectly and need to replace it.

or, is it possible that it settles by its own after a while?

i need to chance the oil soon anyway.. might as well change the seal same time.

first engine i rebuild, so just asking.. thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep. that´s the one i meant.

funny though.. i installed it just the way you described. well, something went wrong.

i was quite confident that such a big project (for an absolute beginner like me) wouldn´t go smoothly like in the movies. i was sure that something was going to fail. i´m glad it wasn´t anything bigger..

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I did a google search and found this;
Install timing cover seal
The timing cover seal keeps oil from leaking past the harmonic balancer. Some seals have a coating painted on them already, some are bare metal. Put a thin bead of non-hardening sealant around the outer edge of the seal. Put a block of wood behind the cover so you don't deform the metal as you hammer on the seal. Use a bearing race driver or a tool that will contact the entire face of the seal as it's banged in.
Check to make sure that the seal is fully seated and square. Then lubricate the inner lip of the rubber seal with some grease to keep it from burning out when the engine starts up.

Maybe this will help.
Guy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wasn´t sure what you meant cobalt327...

so i did some research and came to know how much (or little) i know about re-building engines.. ouch.

i guess it´s possible to make a major fail by installing the damper incorrectly.. *****.. i guess it might not be in a proper position. how much clearance there should be between the damper and the cover?

i just put it there and didn´t think about that at all..

now you can see one learning a lesson here... :spank:

i´m gonna take the cooler out of the way, detach the bolt and show the damper a few careful hits of a hammer...

the hell with me and my ignorance..

·
Banned
731 Posts
could also be leaking through damper where it slides on crank snout , been there done that too , put light dab of silicone on crank before you put damper on , oil can leak through the key way slot .this will make you think it's the seal .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i don´t have that kind of tool. they don´t sell them in my local parts store. i have only a tool for removing.. we´ve been using lead hammers or steel ones and a thick peace of metal and i´ve never seen anything bad happening. the key word is being very careful. but thanks for warnings anyway.

i would buy the tool if it was a bit easier task, it just seems a bit stupid to buy a cheap tool and then pay much more for the freight and possibly taxes.

maybe, if they don´t have the sleeve and recommend buying a new balancer instead, i order one from summit and the tool too..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one more stupid question before i start using "search" for finding answers..

what thread is in the damper bolt?

i don´t have a good bolt store nearby, those not so good ones sell only metric ones... would be quite easy to call if i just knew what to ask..

thanks a million for your help so far..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.