Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a high performance 289 engine in my 65 Mustang and the building said that I should develop somewhere around 340 horsepower. I also just installed an Edelbrock dual quad intake manifold with two 500 CFM carburetors. I’m using a new MSD 8579 distributor with a 6A spark box and a Blaster coil.

I have already changed the heavy duty distributor springs with one blue and one silver light spring and changed the cam as well. Here is my question I’m not sure of:

When pre setting your timing before starting am I correct in the following procedure?
1. Adjust the harmonic balancer to TDC.
2. Install the distributor and ensure the rotor is sitting on the #1 wire.
3. Move the harmonic balancer to 35 degrees BTDC.
4. Turn the distributor so the rotor goes back to the #1 wire.
5. Start engine.

Is this correct, or am I all wet?

Also, I installed a larger cam and new lifters. How long should I turn over the engine with the spark plugs out to balance out the hydraulic lifters?

Thanks for your help!

Mustang Rebuilding or MB

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
i'm a noob when it comes to engines so can't help with your problem, but i must say that is a beautiful motor

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Try 8-12 degrees as a starting point. Your distributor will give you the rest as the rpms climb. Everything else looks ok.

Larry

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Do a search in the knowledge base, this has been covered in depth. Good looking motor, you need to do something with those plug wires though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tangled Wires

Thanks for the wire advise. I should have said that I don't have the wires in their looms yet because I wanted to wait unitl I get it running. I might have to take them off again, but you are right, they are far away from the headers.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts