Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1923 T Bucket equipped with a B&M blown Chevy 383 Stroker
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering the best base timing to go off of for a 383 Stroker. Recently replaced my intake manifold gasket and to do so had to remove the distributor. I have the distributor set to be retarded, on the safe side, but the engine still will not start, and every once in a while while cranking a loud pop will happen and fuel will shoot out of a barrel in the carb. Just wondering either what I might be doing wrong or what anybody has as their base timing for a 383 stroker. The engine is also equipped with a blower, though I am not 100% sure how much that factors in to the timing. Thanks !

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Timing is too far retarded most likely. Too far retarded or too far advanced will both cause a cough like that.

Advanced 15° Before TDC is a safe place to start most any engine, so that you can then get a timing light reading to finalize the setting.

How much do you know about the timing requirements of the forced induction engine??

What blower are you using??
How much do you know about the rest of the engine parts?
What's the compression ratio??

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you know nothing about the engine at all I would say 20º total timing until you research the engine. If it pings get out of it fast. If it shows any sign of running lean, get out of it fast. Anything that can go wrong in an engine will go wrong twicw as fast with a blower

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
Idle timing is remarkably inconsequential to an idling engine. Idle timing is only a setting used because the OEM gave it X degrees worth of mechanical advance and they spec'd 36 total.

I had an overcammed 454 that I locked the mechanical and set initial to 34 and drove it for years like that. Grab it and advance the snot out of it. If you get starter kickback you went too far. But you won't damage an engine by starting it with too much advance. Don't go driving until you've properly set it, but idling... no worries.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Also on a side note to help with starter kickback, you can install a toggle switch on the 12 volt source wire to your distributor and you can turn you engine over for several seconds then hit the toggle switch and then let the distributor get power and it will allow your starter to have some time to get going before any combustion can take place and will help with any kickback issues. I did this mod many years back thanks to a recommendation on this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.