Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the same problem as this guy but I haven't started it yet when I took mine out the cam mark was up 12 and the crank mark was at 12 then everything I read in these four rooms and then my manual it said to put the cam gear at 6:00 while the crank stayed at 12:00 and the camp pin when I removed it it was at 9:00 so I turned it and put it at 3:00 this was before all the lifters and rods and rockers were installed so I'm wondering if mine was at top dead center at number 6 rather than number 1. Now I made sure I was at top dead center on number one when I was putting all this together

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
12 and 12 is actaully TDC for number one.
12 and 6 is easier to eyeball so that's what most guys and instructions tell you.

If you do the 12 and 6, turn the crank 360'(1 full turn) and it'll be back at TDC on number 1

·
Registered
15,334 Posts
The best way is to set this up for the crank gear at noon and the cam gear at 6. This has the marks facing each other which minimizes the miss when by the book they are installed each at noon.

With the crank gear at noon and the cam gear at 6 both number 1 and number 6 pistons are at TDC, the timing marks if the case cover and damper were installed would indicate TDC. But in this position number 1 is ending exhsust and starting intake while 6 is firing. One more complete clockwise rotation of the crank brings number 1 to firing while number 6 is ending exhaust and starting intake.

1 and 6 are phased opposite each other they are 360 crankshaft degrees apart in a 720 degree cycle. At the distributor they are 180 degrees apart in a 360 degree cycle as the distributor and cam turn half a rotation for one of the crank.

Bogie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.