Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at buying a timing light, they got some on sale at canadian tire right now.

i have used a very basic inductive light and thought it was a POS. with the digital Display on this one http://www.iequus.com/item.asp?cid=20&pid=3568 do i still have to mark the timing tab and harmonic balancer and get thos 2 lines to match up? how differnt would i use a digital one to a cheapy inductive?

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
I had this exact light before my shop burned, and am buying another one. It is actually a really good light. For your timing with this light, or any digital/advance light, all you have to do is set the light to your advance spec. (eg. spec. is 16* advance, press advace button on light untill display reads 16*) and set timing to the zero marker on the tab. The only rael difference in use is that you have to connect this one to the vehicals battery to power up the display.

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i went and bought one, looks pretty nice compared to that one i rented awhile back.

i read over the manual but am still not shure how to use it. so if i want to set it to 8degress BTDC then i just set the advance to 8?

so i just hook it all up, have the balancer line marked and same with 0 degrees and 8degrees BTDC on the timing tab? im just not quite sure how it works.

is there 2 lines and u get the one like set on 0degrees and the second one on 8 degegrees on the timing tab or is there 3 lines and 1 you get onto 0 degrees and one that is on 8degrees, and one that moves and u lign up with the 8 degree one when moving the distrib?

sorry im a bit confused :(

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Set the timing you want on the light and align the tdc mark on the tab with the timing mark on the balancer at 0 degrees.

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quick tip, use a little model car paint brush to put on the white out on the balancer and timing tab, and some black model paint as a eraser to get a perfect line.

i had problem with this before was trying to use the little brush on the white out bottle and it just made a huge line that was 2-4 degrees wide, and wouldn't of given a accurate timing

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Montea-
2 things may help you.

1.) Masking Tape each side of the line-paint, remove tape= Narrow line
2.) Paint line, then scuff the paint off the damper with your girlfriends emeryboard. Paint will stay in the line, and be removed off the outside of the damper

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
and if your still using the inductive light, or the new type

buy one of the Mr. Gaskets timing tapes, make photo copies and tape a cut out copy onto the balancer.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts