Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i just went down and bought a dial back timing light. And what im finding kinda sucks. I set my timing to 10 degrees initial, than I rev the engine to where the timing does not go any higher and my total is at 23-24. So all im getting is 13-14 degrees of mechanical advance?? It is a mallory hei distributer so i thought the total timing would be higher. And in order to get 36 degrees total i have to set initial to 23-24.

Please Help
Joel

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Are you sure you are reading it correctly? Most Mallory distributors come with 24o distributor advance. That would come out to 34o total with 10o of advance.

Did you mark the 10o mark on the balancer? If you marked the 10o line, you should only see 24o total with an advance analyzing light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you are supposed to do is set the dial on the timing light to ten right? Than you turn distributer until the line is in the top dead center mark.
\
/
\
.\ ___set timing mark here (while the dial on timing light on ten)
./
/
\
/ Before
\____________

I hope I didnt confuse anyone.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
With an advance analyzing timing light you should mark the zero mark on the balancer using white out or something similar. Then you set your initial timing by turning the distributor. Set the dial to 10 and when it lines up with the timing pointer you are at 10o initial.

If you want to check the mechanical advance, set the light to 0. Rev the engine until the timing stops advancing. Turn the knob on the timing light until the mark on the balancer lines up with the timing pointer. Whatever number the dial on the timing light points to will be your distributor advance.

Add whatever initial advance you started with to the distributor advance. This will give you the total.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So im supposed get my initial, than rev engine untill no more advance is seen, than turn dial until the line is at tdc mark.
so say i set initial to 10 degrees, then rev the engine and turn the dial till line reaches tdc mark, and it is at 24 on the timing light. Now im supposed to add the 10 and 24 to get 34???

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Exactly.

Now that we have that understood. I am going to confuse you a little. Buy a distributor curve kit for your model Mallory distributor. It will come with springs and shims. Read the directions that come with the kit. It will tell you how to recurve the distributor.

You want to staqrt by running 14o initial, and 20o distributor. That will give you 34o total. Use the lightest springs in the kit. The kit will have a graph showing which springs do what. Start with this adjustment as a baseline. Then get back to me on it and you can fine tune some more.

Doing this will give you more power, throttle response, and better mileage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i bought the distributer it came with a few springs. So I have tried a few of them and ended up throwing the stock ones back in. It seems that if i was to put the softest ones in it would advance at idle. They are really soft. the springs barely pull the weights back.

By the way thanks for the help guys.:thumbup:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
That is strange. You don't want it to start advancing at idle. Just out of idle and having it all in as soon as possible, (2,500 RPMs) is what will make your car the fastest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts