Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I have read lots of instructions, seen multiple videos, and cant wrap my head around it!
Basics: BBC stroker with good internals and lumpy Lunati solid roller cam. Holley XP 750, MSD 6AL and Streetfire HEI ignition with no vacuum advance. Currently NOS Cheater, 1 kit. Idles at about 850 RPM at 13 deg timing, all in it is at about 35 degrees.
Planned: Adding NOS Cheater 2 stage, NOS Mini 2 Stage Controller, and Innovate AF/NOS control, cutoff guage.
Can someone walk me through what retard controller to use, how it actually retards the timing, and any other suggestions you may have. Do i have to lock out the distributor to achieve the goal? Will the retard work for both stages of nitrous or simple control by the WOT switch? I don't want to blow up this motor!
Thanks in advance for comments and direction. Its always appreciated.
Ben

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,822 Posts
Those boxes basicslly delay the coil firing electronically by interrupting the signal coming from the distributor to the coil.
They monitor the rpm and adjust the delay based on your requests of the programming.
I don’t have a brand in mind, other than the same brand as the rest of it the ignition for easier hook up and wiring.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Since you've listed your current ignition is MSD, you could use one of their Multi Stage Retard boxes.
Each retard stage would be wired to apply off of each nitrous stage trigger.
You don't need to lock-out the distributor.

MSD has a Digital Multi-Retard(4 stages), and a 3-Stage analog retard box. The older style analog box takes plug in "chips" for each adjustment, the Digital is simple screwdriver dashpot adjustment settings.

In your case, the NOS 2-stage Mini has outputs for triggering a retard box for each stage.
Easy-Peasy, just pick the retard box you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you and much appreciated. I suppose i was overthinking it.
Those boxes basicslly delay the coil firing electronically by interrupting the signal coming from the distributor to the coil.
They monitor the rpm and adjust the delay based on your requests of the programming.
I don’t have a brand in mind, other than the same brand as the rest of it the ignition for easier hook up and wiring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks EricNova. I have the 4 stage in my cart. All that will be left is the work and lots of wiring! Good opportunity to clean up other wiring at the same time though. Thanks to all for the input.
Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts