Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys maybe you can send me in the right direction. While adjusting my timing on my sbc i set it at 8 btdc and the exhaust smells weird and smokes. The engine runs good at that setting. Which way will stop the smell?

·
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA
1,146 Posts
You should try and provide allot more info. First off tell us about the engine specs such as cam specs to start, is this a highly modified engine or basically stock setup? what type of distributor etc etc.

Smells weird means nothing, if the engine idling is creating allot of tear jerking unburnt hydrocarbons then more advance on the idle timing can help clean this up. Most mild to mid range cammed motors like more than 8 deg BTDC, but then again we know nothing about what you have.

Smokes? what is the color, blue black or white?

More info = more effective trobleshooting advice here.

·
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA
1,146 Posts
Ok good

If you have vacuum advance try running that on full manifold vac at idle, with a base setting of approx 18-22 deg timing + 10-12 more through vacuum advance and you'll have about 30 btdc at idle, this can make a world of difference and also allows for more effective carb adjustments cause you can back off the primary blades (main idle screw) to get the carb working more on the idle circuit rather than on the main or transfer side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.