Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP :confused:

Here's what I got guys. I pulled my timming cover off to change my gear drive. I'm having fits trying to put the sucker back on. Man I don't want to drop the headers lift the motor and all that jazz if I don't have to!! I can only get to 3-4 of the pan bolts to loosen, but I still can't get the pan to drop down in the front. I know we have alot of wizards on this forum so help me out!! I'm using an aluminum timming cover but will use anything now. PLEASE how about some ideas?????

Thom :spank:

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,318 Posts
Shouldn't have to drop headers. Just pull the motor mount bolts and lift it a couple inches. Then use whatever you can; combo wrench, universal-jointed sockets; just do it :)

I have a 1/4" air rachet that is small enough that I can fit it between the pan and the crossmember.

·
loves ex cop cars
366 Posts
sorry tommer2, didn't want to start a new thread.does this mean when i change my timming chain and gears on my 87 350ci caprice i may run into this same problem.i don't want to have to drop oil pan just to install new cover. any help welcome as i will be doing this soon. thanks JOE.

·
More for Less Racer
20,950 Posts
hemi joe said:
sorry tommer2, didn't want to start a new thread.does this mean when i change my timming chain and gears on my 87 350ci caprice i may run into this same problem.i don't want to have to drop oil pan just to install new cover. any help welcome as i will be doing this soon. thanks JOE.
Joe, there is no way to do this without loosening the pan .

·
loves ex cop cars
366 Posts
good for you tommer2 ,glad it worked out :) now for my situation will i have to go thru alot of bs to change my timming chain annd gears on my sbc 5.7L.I have a summit sum-g6601 roller timing set sbc,roller,i have a 1987 5.7L 350 n my caprice.also have mr gasket timing cover#4590.will this work on my car.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
ericnova72 said:
Joe, there is no way to do this without loosening the pan .

Yes it can be done,But it is very hard to do it, without loosening the pan.. :pain: The trick is to put the bottom in first,And push down,and in,Till it goes onto the dial pins..Like I said,It is by far easy.I have done a few like that.But it is so much easier to lower the front of the pan.. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.