Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know yall have got this kind of question before but i am having a problem with my timing on my 454 bbc. Its the 454 HO out of jegs. Its pretty much a stock 454. it will only run with the timing set around 55 degrees. And with the timing set that high it kills starters and flexplates. the distributor is a mallory hei with full lock out. it has no mechanical advance nor vacume advance. Its out of a race car. Im wanting to know how to get the timing down and making the motor start and run without it backfiring threw my carb or dogging out on take off. if yall have any input please feel free to give me some.:smash:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I know yall have got this kind of question before but i am having a problem with my timing on my 454 bbc. Its the 454 HO out of jegs. Its pretty much a stock 454. it will only run with the timing set around 55 degrees. And with the timing set that high it kills starters and flexplates. the distributor is a mallory hei with full lock out. it has no mechanical advance nor vacume advance. Its out of a race car. Im wanting to know how to get the timing down and making the motor start and run without it backfiring threw my carb or dogging out on take off. if yall have any input please feel free to give me some.:smash:
I would start by putting a GM (or aftermarket) HEI distributor in it w/a vacuum advance. Info on timing curves, etc is here.

Check the firing order to be sure the timing light isn't firing off the wrong terminal.

It sounds a lot like the cam is off a tooth (out of phase). The quickest way to check this is to either remove the timing cover and look to see that the dots are aligned, or degree the cam. If the dots on the timing gears aren't correctly aligned, simply correct them. If you don't want to remove the cover or the dots are in alignment and you still suspect the cam is out of phase due to a manufacturing error, use the intake centerline method of degreeing the cam. This isn't the most accurate method but it is the quickest and will tell you what you need to know. Details on using the intake centerline method is about 2/3 down the page: http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/145.pdf.

Good luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pull coil wire. Pull #1 plug and bump it around to compression stroke and see if the marks line up. Damper may have slipped on the rubber. If you have MSD some dial timing lights won't work. My 32 degree locked 496 bumps the starter when hot so I put light springs in and set initial at 22 and it jumps to 36 by 2500 rpm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.