Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
US Navy-Retired
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, newbie question here. I installed a new distributor Monday and just can't seem to get it right. I beleive that I installed it right, by finding to dead center on #1 (timing marks line up perfectly) and installed the distributor with the rotor facing the #1 lug on the cap. Before that I was under the impression that the rotor pointed to the #1 cylinder. Which is right? But anyway, I finally get it to hit and I now have backfire out of the carb (and a small fire by the way). So my questions is, Is it possible to be 180 out even if I have TDC on the #1 cylinder and the rotor in the correct postion. Someone told me that the #1 piston and the #6 (I think) would be up and the timming marks will still line up good and it would give the impression of TDC but it is not. I took the #1 plug out and felt the piston, so I thought that it was a good TDC. I am just confused. Thanks to all that reply.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Remove the plug, remove the distributor power wire, place your finger over the spark plug hole, have a buddy bump the engine over for you, when you feel the pressure blow your finger off the hole your on the compression stroke, line up your timing marks on that stroke, point the rotor on the distributor at the number 1 spark plug going to the number 1 cylinder, replace the plug, replace the power wire and fire it up, set the spark timing accordingly there after.

·
US Navy-Retired
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Double for the reply. That is basically what I have been doing. Everything seems to line up right. I will double check it to make sure that I get the compression and the points alligned on the same stroke. Maybe I have that off. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
The engine wont run with it 180 out. Is it starting and backfiring or just backfiring without actually starting? Like was said, check your wires and make sure they are on the right plugs. Remember 18436572 :).

To check for the distributor being 180 out you can quickly switch the wires directly across from each other. If this works, then do the fix the right way by removing the distributor and resetting it.

·
US Navy-Retired
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone that replied. I think I may have it off a tooth or so. I feel like a dork for asking such a stupid question, but I just could not figure it out. I know that this tyype of question gets old after awhile. I go to dirt birk forums and the question there is "Which kind of oil is best" and we are like not another oil question. So thanks for not beating me up. I have a mechanic friend comming over today to look at it. Probably cost me a six pack or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.