Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue recently that I have not been able to correct. After laying my clear
coat, a bunch of tiny bubbles form. I use a 20 gallon and 10 gallon air compressors running to a 6 gallon overflow. Also, added a Intercooler and 2 desiccant bowels to help with moisture. Florida humidity is horrible! What are these bubbles caused from and how fix them?
Water Atmosphere Sky Liquid Hood

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
Maybe you are spraying on the color too soon. some paint requires a small amount of time for a chemical reaction to take place before you spray it on.I forget what They call it . But anyway it could be that the chemical reaction is taking place and it need to do that in the pot for a few minutes first. Just a thought

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is called "gassing". Lot of problems occur when the wrong temp reducer and activator (fast/medium/slow) is used in both the base and top coats. Gassing happens when the surface of the freshly sprayed paint flashes before the gasses escape. Feels dry but the very small layer of paint under the surface is still "wet". The gasses will escape. The clear has a small interaction with the base to make it "stick" to the base coat. That opens the base to gas off and gives you the bubbles.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Did these appear immediately after spraying, or were they there the next day when you came back?
It looks like a very severe case of solvent pop to me. One thing (out of many) that causes this is, laying down a nice slick paint job then going home leaving no air flow in the room.
What you come back to in the morning looks looks what you have, because the solvents got trapped by the clear and could not flash off.
But it could be a couple other things too.
You definitely don't want to do that again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts