Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looking for power seats at the pick & pull? Take the battery from your drill, impact, etc. You can use it to power and move the seat to get to the bolts.
This also works good on testing window regulators, fuel pumps, and door lock actuators.
Gets right to the point and cuts out troubleshooting everything in between.

·
True Hotrodder
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
~ Before yanking that intake manifold off, run your shop vacuum around the edges to pick up any stray debris that could fall into the valley or ports.

~ Harbor Freight has a 50mm round magnet that will attach to the bottom of an oil filter, that'll help keep addition metal particles out of your expensive engine.

·
True Hotrodder
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
~ If you have a RV, collect extra napkins, plastic utensils and condiments at your favorite fast food outfit. Might as well get something for your money.

~ When detailing an engine compartment with paint, use aluminum foil to cover odd shaped pieces to keep overspray off of them. No tape required and it molds to the piece and holds tight.

Reactions: lmsport

·
True Hotrodder
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
~ You can clean up mildly rusted chrome items with 0000 steel wool and paste car wax. Just keep rubbing, the rust will disappear in no time and the wax coating will help control future rusting.

~ Paint a line on your important chassis bolt / nut junctions with fingernail paint or a parts marker pen. Then you can crawl under the car and quickly check for loose bolts by visual inspection. If the paint seal has broken and/or the line moved you better check it out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I worked in the body shop, my boss used to tell me, newspaper is one of the best things for cleaning your windows, so I tried it one day. Sprayed some glass cleaner on the glass, took some old newspaper and wiped it off and sure enough, it cleaned it real nice.
He said it had something to do with the ink on the paper???

·
Registered
85 Posts
For you guys with race cars or non-show cars, I needed a dash pad for my Camaro. I threw the original one out because it was so badly cracked, and warped.
The price of those things are crazy, so I ordered one of those plastic dash caps and it fit right in, and you would never know the difference unless you look real hard. I just have it screwed in on the ends, in the factory location. I use velcro to hold the center portion to the dash.
If I need access to under my dash, I take out the two screws and it pulls right out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Carry 2 fire extinguishers. One within reach or the driver one within reach of the passenger.
The second one is for the car that rolled in front of you. But if needed you have it.
Saw a vid where this car caught fire, guy used his and everyone else came ruining n used all their small ones. The track had none so the car burnt down to nothing and that's why I'll also carry two.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you do any kind of bodywork or painting, sandpaper is a standard commodity.

#1 Use a file folder to keep your sandpaper in, this will help keep the edges from curling up. You can even use multiple folders to organize the various grits.
I have a box that fit's file folders perfect, and enough sandpaper in there to keep them from sagging. It works great!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
For polishing chrome I used to use steel wool, but with my wreck of a car little pieces break off in the tiny pits and just humid air will make them rust. I found that real brass or copper scrubbing pads with wax work great. It's hard to find ones that are not just brass or copper plated steel, so if at a store bring a little magnet. I found some on Amazon and it said something like 100% copper.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts