Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah so i'm considering building my own steering wheel.. a guy I know did it and that way I can basically get the shape and steering I want... Just wondering if anyone knows of some sites that have some good info or pictures of the internals of steering wheels? :D :rolleyes:

·
banned
1,083 Posts
Neil it has been done somewhere... You konw if you were here I would hit you but your not so instead I will say this... At least I am smart enough to build mufflers if I want to :p
I'm not even sure you could build a steering wheel

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Loose links of chin make the best steering wheels, just droop the links between a four prong hub.

Hope you don't do too many u-turns.

Mufflers?...steering wheels?...must have been a good crop in Alberta this year...cheap electricity?

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
My truck has a Cadillac tilt/tele steering wheel/column in it ... I like the tilt, don't care about the tele ... worst deal is, I can't find a replacement steering wheel because Caddy makes theirs *different* ... anyone have a solution?

I'm thinking of just doing my own thing to it; covering it with leather to match the interior - when I get around to doing the interior, that is.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Horvath,
How about having a custom adapter made so you could adapt any steering wheel. A good machine shop or machinist could make one to your spec relatively easy.

Kevin

·
Registered
323 Posts
A while back, I saw a custom steering wheel built out of plexiglass or lexan. It was in a customized Astro, part of a stereo installation. Looked really cool! Sorry, I can't find the link..

·
Registered
533 Posts
Are you going to make the airbag an inflatable dolls face???? Maybe you can make the airbag a male inflatable dolls crotch??? Just an idea. Steve

·
Registered
323 Posts
Towncar, that might not be too pretty.. Just think, the look on his face bofore the airbag goes off will be :eek:

I don't need to spell that out, do I? :D Let's just say "Insert airbag here"

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Stinkin_V8 ]</p>

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Hey Neil, I thought of your new 'friend' when I seen these. Maybe you could give him a couple of buddies.
<a href="http://www.bullsballs.com/" target="_blank">Buddies.</a>
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have seen a gut who adapted an old steering wheel to a homemade ring. He rolled a length of stainless tube arround a 14 inch rim. tig welded the ring together and welded it to an old 1940's ford center. looked prety cool with a polished stainless ring on a restored vintage center..

"do or dont, there is no try" Yoda

go for it

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a friend that makes steering wheels(banjo type)He uses a Camaro wheel & removes all the plastic....you are left w/a center hub, 2 connectors & a flat outer ring. He jigs the ctr & outer ring so they can not move, he then removes the 2 connectors between the hub & ring.
Next he tig welds ss welding rod for the 3 (3 prs of 3)connectors, cuts 6 curved pcs of wood (3 for the top & 3 for the bottom of the ring. He epoxy's these to the outer ring & shapes them round by hand.....Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts