Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys from the UK

when rebuilding an engine, do you use oil to lubricate the pistons/rings bores or assemble them dry, have always been taught to oil them here, but have read you guys assemble them dry ??? all comments welcome cheers barry

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Years ago I worked heavy equipment repair with this educated idiot. He assembled a Perkins 6 cyl Diesel. Dry pistons/rings.

After install in the chassis, no start, no compression!.
After the injectors were removed, 30 wt oil was squirted into the cylinders. Injectors re-installed. Engine fired instantly. Ran to operating temp and the exhaust turned to blue oil smoke. Upon removal of the cylinder head. The cylinders looked like someone had taken a coarse wood rasp to the walls. The second and third rings on every piston were TOAST.

The engine had to be re done at very considerable cost. The builder was invited to never return to the shop!..

·
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
1,283 Posts
When I was assembling my first engine, with a little guidance from old man, we poured oil into the empty piston bore, wiped the oil evenly around the cylinder, took the complete piston and turned it on it's side, then poured oil on the rigs and skirt, and then evenly spread the oil. Then put in the piston. We weren't shy with the oil.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I always oil the bejesus out of everything, then put it together and turn the crank multiple times with the short block assembled, wiping excess oil off the walls with a lint-free cloth as each piston goes to BDC. Never had one fail.

·
Registered
599 Posts
What I was taught- Couple quarts oil and half pint of STP warmed to about 200 dg. Soak the piston, ring and rod assembly for a couple minutes while moving the rod back and forth to work lube into the pin. Install, turn a couple times and and wipe bore with clean, lint free cloth the remove excess. Assembly lube on everything else. Smokes a bit on startup, but never lost a fresh motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.