Hot Rod Forum banner

141 - 160 of 256 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,386 Posts
The dolly pushing up must be kept moving around as you slap because the dolly will not be the same shape as a panel ever.

Once you've rearranged the metal by bringing it up with slapper and dolly, it's time to shrink the bubble down.
In the case of your sample piece, the bubble was created with the ewheel. Dents/creases in panels do the same thing. They always leave an upward (or downward) bubble that needs shrinking.

It's time for the shrinking disc.
The disc is not expected to get that huge bubble that you created all the way down, but it will bring some of it down.

It's usually enough to shrink down damage from creases in the metal though and that's real world damage that you will use it on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Ok. That makes great sense. I'll try it on test panel when it arrives on Friday!! So I just keep reorienting the dolly, got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,386 Posts
Just a reminder.
You cannot force any steel down by ringing steel on steel.
It will stretch and bubble up more.

For off dolly slapping, light blows with pressure on the dolly upwards continually moving it around.

A trick to finding exactly where the crown of the dolly is underneath the panel is to give it light slaps and to here a ringing sound. It won't be hard enough to stretch but the sound will tell you if it's in the right spot.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
So pugsy, all my slapping to get stuff close to where it needs to be should be done off dolly (I know we just went over this a week ago)- it seems unnatural though, so I'll have to work on it. I tried a little shrinking with the disc that just came. Seems like it's really roughing my test panel up. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,386 Posts
Nothing really wrong, however, a panel will be a lot smoother than that before you pull out the disc.

Put the panel thru your ewheel to get a nice smooth curve on it.

Then, when you use the disc, you can feel the results as your smooth panel will get a slight dip in it.

With that lumpy panel, it's gonna dig in a lot more because of your sharp creases.

Keep your disc clean as it pick up metal from use.

But generally, it makes marks. Look at my pics and you will see spots with that same color.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Pugsy can you try reposting that? I can't see that pic and forgot to say something before. Anyone else not able to see the pic or just me??

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Perhaps he meant pics he previously posted in this thread.

I have used my slappers both properly and improperly by the description of technique given. Call me a hack, I won't say it ain't so. Most often I use a light duty one as a hammer, off or near a dolly. Sometimes I lay it on the metal unsupported and strike the spoon with a hammer for more accuracy. Heck, I used one of my light spoons during a unibody pull somehow and flattened out the curve inadvertently in doing so. Since, it has proven useful to have one of them a little less curved than the other.

Earlier I was asking if you guys had tried a shrinking tip on a regular stud gun. Still curious about that. It seemed to be a big help for me during the early years of my dent fixing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I have not. I don't know if I want big money in that either for one project. Could I use the harbor freight puller? I guess I planned on just doing the MIG method if I was gonna add any heat similar to that.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Right on, Pugsy.

I bought the HF stud gun kit in 2010. It was crap, not very effective but only a hundred bucks. I'd give it to you if you were nearby. A decent stud gun is more like $250 and most won't come with a shrinking tip but its only about ten bucks more. Easy to find demonstration vids about that on the web, and you may find them interesting. Of course I'm not suggesting that you go buy a brand new one for one stretched panel. It may not be a technique that finds favor among enthusiastic metal shapers but it can be a lifesaver during a person's learning curve. So did you try shrinking with a small weld on your practice piece?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,386 Posts
OP: make a very low crown on your practice piece and try your shrinking disc.

You're still talking about using a MIG to shrink????

Or just go straight to your roof skin and skim the shrinking disc across the highs on your roof skin and be prepared to be amazed.
Just get it a bit hot and hit it with a damp cloth.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Well I'm hoping the shrinking disc will work but I wasn't impressed with my test plan. I do realize the crown was excessive from the wheel though.

What do you guys think about using this pry bar for a slapper?! They're tough, spring steel. I thought this was a great idea? Of course the edges would have to be ground and rounded. These are cheap at any home store though.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,386 Posts
Those are nice and hard so should work OK.

May end up being too light though.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,386 Posts
No idea here. I can't understand why this particular tool is worth investing one minute of fabrication effort. :confused:
You have to put your mindset as a hobbyist.

We will try to spend time making stuff rather than spending dollars.
If I need tools for work, they are bought, not made.
When I need tools to play with my rod, they are made not bought, if it's feasible. I can make a slapper in a couple hours. As much time as going out to buy one.

As a hobbyist, my time is free.

Reactions: John long

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
IDJ, I can see your point. The slappers I saw were all like $30 aside from the harbor freight one you linked to. I plan on picking that up sooner or later. I saw this this morning though, and when I thought of it I thought I should share for others if nothing else.

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
You have to put your mindset as a hobbyist.

We will try to spend time making stuff rather than spending dollars.
If I need tools for work, they are bought, not made.
When I need tools to play with my rod, they are made not bought, if it's feasible. I can make a slapper in a couple hours. As much time as going out to buy one.

As a hobbyist, my time is free.
When we're young, we brag how much things cost. When older, we brag how little things cost. I thought maybe it was just that. Can't really imagine what its like having a bodywork hobby anymore, I had to extinguish that part of me to do it for a living. Perhaps one day I can understand. If I had to make a slapper I would probably reach for that leaf spring and find a bed of hot coals with an anvil nearby. Too many westerns maybe :D

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
IDJ, I can see your point. The slappers I saw were all like $30 aside from the harbor freight one you linked to. I plan on picking that up sooner or later. I saw this this morning though, and when I thought of it I thought I should share for others if nothing else.

Carry on, I understand that. A lot of people just want their car done, others don't care when. Everybody cares about cost though, even the deep pocketed ones. My tendency to finish things rather than study them won't wash off, because as a person who works on other people's vehicles it would be criminal to put my personal curiosity first. Just go at your own pace and digest fundamentals as the project allows, I'm not wanting to rush you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Alrifht guys so I tried out the shrinking disc today. I'm satisfied- I think. Take s look at the pics below. The worked the 3 worst spots. #3 was the worst one that I really boogered up. #2 & #1 weren't as bad.

The before pics show my fingers 1 thru 3 by each dent. The after pics show more of my hand with 1 thru 3 raised up.

1 before

1 after

2 before

2 after

3 before

3 after

I ran a straight edge over each problem area after shrinking. I don't think there are any high areas anymore. The inward dents are about 1/64" deep. Does it get much better than that for a beginner? I would love to get it perfect like you see in youtube vids and such, but I also don't want to end up wearing a hole in my roof skin or something. If this is shoddy work and I need to do more, please say so!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,386 Posts
It's only shoddy work if you left an oil can popping up and down.

Once you have it all firmed up and no spots are high, it's perfect. :thumbup:

PS: Always trust the "magic" s/s shrinking disc.

141 - 160 of 256 Posts