Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LOLLERS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first newbie post, please be gentle ;)

I stopped by the Colorado State Patrol office today, and chatted with a very nice officer about titling my '50 Chevy coupe.
Problem is, no title (of course) and the Vin plate was cut during the chop and is missing 3 numbers off the end.
I've got LEO family, and she is trying to run the 1966 license plate that's on it for me, but no luck yet.

Anyhow, I can have the inspection performed and go through the bonded title thing in the near future, but it will be forever titled as "rebuilt from salvage", it will have to have that stamped into the b pillar also.

Or, I can wait until the car is "road worthy" and then have the inspection performed. Going this way, it will have a regular title. It might take me a few years to get there, but might be worth the wait?

what do you guys think?
Thanks, Thom

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Definitely wait till it's done. Just make sure you keep all your receipts for parts you use, the DMV inspector will want to see those.

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
507 Posts
We have similar procedures in Ohio. Easy to get a salvage title, but if it's going to be put it on the road again later, one still has to have the inspection anyway. The question is, what would one do with a salvage title anyway if the car is not currently running? The only reason to do that, in my opinion, is if you were considering selling the vehicle before you would have it on the road and wanted to have some kind of title for the sale. Other than that, it would make more sense to wait. Keeping good records will make the inspection go a lot smoother when it's time. Good luck to you.

·
LOLLERS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, I've looked at salvage title info now, and apparently some states won't let you title them, Like FLA? Probably becuse of all the flood cars out there.

I'm thinking of waiting. I't kind of worries me not having the title before I sink $ into this.

Anyone know if there is a different place to look for a vin # on a 1950 Chevy?
Whoever did the chop cut the last 3 numbers off the vin tag on the A pillar.

Thanks, Thom

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know about the coupe, but my 51 pickup vin number is the same number that is stamped on the orginal engine block that came with the truck. If you have the orginal engine you might check the number on the block. The number on the tag inside the cab does not match the one on the title, but the engine number does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.