Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh joy, my court date is tomorrow. No way in hell I would do that defensive driving class for such a bogus reason to give me a ticket. I'll fill you in on what happened and yes, it happened in ::gasps:: my el camino! I've been pulled over so many times in that it's ridiculous how "the law" seems to be attracted to someone with a classic car. :rolleyes:

Wanted to take my el camino to work because it was the weekend and I like to drive it at least once a week to keep everything good and operational without problems occuring after just sitting there over time with something like battery drainage, etc. Was on the way to work, mind you I still have an overheating problem so I hate to be stopped in traffic because I get extremely distraught about when it will inevitably overheat. I start getting into some heavy traffic, strange since the roads I take to work are usually for the most part clear. There's a traffic light up ahead about 200 ft. I'm just sitting there, we're not moving even though it's green so I decide to just drive through the gas station to avoid any problems that might occur from me just sitting there. Big mistake that was.

I pull out of the gas station and get into my lane and the traffic jam is even worse. As I'm just sitting there letting it idle and considering making a u-turn to take another road to work, I hear the familiar blipping noise of a siren that pretty much orders you to pull off to the side. I did hear it but didn't even consider that the blipping noise was for me. (This is how bad traffic is backed up) I saw him emerge from his vehicle and pretty much just walk over to me and bellows out, "Pull off to the side now sir!" I was just thinking to myself, "Oh sh... must've thought I was ignoring him or something." He pretty much told me what I did wrong and I was of course being polite to him and not mouthing off like some idiotic teenager would. I would even try and do some casual conversation with him on what the traffic jam was about and usually cops will chat with you but oh nooo, this guy meant business. I could tell I was getting a ticket because he was just sitting there in his car for 20 minutes so I wasn't the least bit surprised when he came out with that damn pink slip in his hand. :nono: Sooo now I have to appear to court tomorrow, of course the whole process of setting up a court date is so incredibly slow. To give you an idea of how slow it is, this whole incident happened on the day before Thanksgiving. :drunk:

What didn't help with the whole situation is when I was turning into traffic, I opened up the throttle a bit too much so the back end up my el camino likes to come up from under you for a split second, no big deal, happens all the time since you have a big block up front and hardly any weight in the back to give you traction. I explained that to him whenever he told me that I was "spinning my tires," yet I don't think he was listening. That's probably what got his attention on me in the first place so that pretty much sucks..

Anyway, I decided to fight the ticket and not take defensive driving for such a harmless "crime" by driving through a gas station. It's not like I barrelled down the lot, I was driving very slowly at a less than 5 mph pace looking out for pedestrians etc. What really got me mad is how much the ticket was, just shy of $300!! You've got to be kidding me!!!! Some idiotic people at school all brag how they get their speeding tickets for doing like 20-30 over yet only get slapped with a 170 something dollar ticket... Un-be-lievable... Anyway, I hope I can talk some sense into the judge and at least, at the very least get my fine knocked down to a more sensible amount to cough up. I'm not happy about this at all. I think I have a good shot at this but I'm really not sure. What's funny is that they mispelled my last name in the letter for the notice on the court date and my parents mentioned that if I want to get really technical with them, I could bring that up on them mispelling my name and have the case thrown out. :thumbup:
 

·
Lost in the 60's
Joined
·
15,259 Posts
I don't think you will be able to get it thrown out just over a typo. I hate to tell ya...you broke the law....its against the law to cut through parking lots, gas stations whatever to cut a corner. So you broke that law and then your tires spinning added to it.....that cop thought you were wreckless even though you were not. Nothing is in your favor on this that I can see...just pay the fine, get your overheating problem fixed, and try to do better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Henry Highrise said:
I don't think you will be able to get it thrown out just over a typo. I hate to tell ya...you broke the law....its against the law to cut through parking lots, gas stations whatever to cut a corner. So you broke that law and then your tires spinning added to it.....that cop thought you were wreckless even though you were not. Nothing is in your favor on this that I can see...just pay the fine, get your overheating problem fixed, and try to do better.
Lol I'm not gonna use that whole spelling my name wrong argument to get the case thrown out, but I found it funny that people have tried this "technique" before. I don't want to pay this ridiculous fine for simply driving through a station, it's retarded to be quite honest. I still would've been mad if the fine was around 100 but I probably would've paid it, not the load of bull that is 300 dollars. :drunk: I still think I have a good shot for at least getting the fine deducted or I can just hope that the cop won't show up. I'm taking a gamble with this really but I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot to fight the system. It is my first ticket after all, it's not like I'm some sort of reckless driver which probably alot of you are thinking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,097 Posts
They want you to pay the fine to inspire you to adhere to the law.
It used to piss me off to no end to see people using the gas station parking lot as a shortcut. I know of several accidents that occurred by people doing just that at my friends station.

It isn't a shortcut, it is private property that you have no business being on unless you are there to conduct business.

That is why they made it a law.

You may see it as harmless and inconsequential. Look at the big picture. The road is for traveling, the gas station is private property that needs to be accessable by cars.

I would suggest that you try to impress the judge with your newfound insight to your actions. They may reduce the fine.

Later, mikey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
powerrodsmike said:
I would suggest that you try to impress the judge with your newfound insight to your actions. They may reduce the fine.

Later, mikey
That is what I'm aiming for actually. I could mention how at the time it seemed like something harmless to do and I didn't realize it was illegal to do but now that I look at the bigger picture, I realize what I did was wrong and will recognize that it is indeed private property and that it cannot be used as a shortcut. I don't use the gas stations as a shortcut, I feel that my situation was different by trying to avoid my vehicle from overheating by being at idle for extensive periods but like you said, the laws the law.
 

·
Lost in the 60's
Joined
·
15,259 Posts
Only thing wrong with that defense is....Ignorance is no excuse of the law...this is true in any courtroom I assure you. Next thing is.... I would not bring up the fact that the vehicle was overheating.....the Judge probably won't like that one bit and he will ask you why you didn't pull into the gas station and park and shut the motor off. He will probably also ask you why you don't keep your vehicle in good operating condition. Sorry bud....but it looks to me like you just learned a lesson....you might as well pay up and move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I'm in Houston and used to get a chance to pay respects to the court system on a regular basis. Every time I showed up in court, I played the game. I got there early, had a seat. Dress nice. No jeans or T-shirts, NO BAGGY PANTS! Look like you are showing respect for where you are. While you may think that how you look shouldn't matter, it does. DO NOT have friends with you and if you have to have them there, tell them to shut up. You will tend to talk with them and while the conversation may be about what is going on, it gives the appearance that you are occupied with other things. TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE! Address the Judge as "your Honor". They like it for some reason.

Now, usually you will be asked are you guilty or innocent of the offense. Since you know what you did was wrong, go with guilty. DO NOT TRY TO ADD ON AN EXPLANATION! This will get you told in a nice way to shut the hell up. However, do REQUEST to address the judge. This will be your time to tell the judge why you did what you did and why your tires got loose. DO NOT say that you didn't know it was against the law! This gives the impression that you are out there driving around with no knowledge of right and wrong.

Here in Houston, the courts are crowded and so are the jails. They want you in and out of the system as soon as possible. In my cases, I have had EVERY fine reduced by showing up in court. It seems like showing up means something and it adds to the file work. They don't like paperwork. Also, if you get stuck with the whole fine or just a part of it, you can request that you be given time to pay it off. They may even offer it to you as an option n paying the fine. I have told a white lie about just starting a new job and needing time to get my first paycheck.

Finally, you live in League City which is a lot smaller than Houston. The officer WILL show up. In Houston, the time to for them to miss is their off time. Like in the evening, when they could be with their family (if he is married) or on a Friday. I'm betting your court time is during the morning or afternoon. Just show up and be a church mouse. Humble and attentive are words to remember.

Hope everything works out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Wear a dress shirt, tuck it in, nice pants, comb your hair, go there sober and off drugs, always say "yessirr" and you should at least get the fine reduced :thumbup:


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Nightfire said:
Wear a dress shirt, tuck it in, nice pants, comb your hair, go there sober and off drugs, always say "yessirr" and you should at least get the fine reduced :thumbup:


Mike
LOL I used to carry a little briefcase like I had important documents! I'm not sure if it helped, but it sure looked important and business like! :mwink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
most of the time they reduce the fine if you bother to show up. They're not going to throw it out. Here's how you do it:

Show up overdressed. Suit is probably a bit cheesy, but maybe some nice slacks and a dress shirt, tie optional. Everybody else will be in jeans and you'll look good.

Everybody wants to tell a story; don't. Limit what you say to the judge to about 3 or 4 sentences, he's heard every story and will appreciate you not wasting too much of his time.

Stand up strait, look the man in the eye, and thank him for his time before you start talking. Talk like you're in a job interview. You know this is more than likely going to be a conservative older white guy you're talking to. You know how they feel about respect and "young folks learning their lessons" and whatnot. Play to the hand!

Should get your fine cut in half, good luck.

K
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,097 Posts
Henry Highrise, Tfeverfred and nightfire are all giving you good advice :thumbup: Killer too :thumbup: (Just saw that post)

Mikey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tfeverfred said:
I'm in Houston and used to get a chance to pay respects to the court system on a regular basis. Every time I showed up in court, I played the game. I got there early, had a seat. Dress nice. No jeans or T-shirts, NO BAGGY PANTS! Look like you are showing respect for where you are. While you may think that how you look shouldn't matter, it does. DO NOT have friends with you and if you have to have them there, tell them to shut up. You will tend to talk with them and while the conversation may be about what is going on, it gives the appearance that you are occupied with other things. TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE! Address the Judge as "your Honor". They like it for some reason.

Now, usually you will be asked are you guilty or innocent of the offense. Since you know what you did was wrong, go with guilty. DO NOT TRY TO ADD ON AN EXPLANATION! This will get you told in a nice way to shut the hell up. However, do REQUEST to address the judge. This will be your time to tell the judge why you did what you did and why your tires got loose. DO NOT say that you didn't know it was against the law! This gives the impression that you are out there driving around with no knowledge of right and wrong.

Here in Houston, the courts are crowded and so are the jails. They want you in and out of the system as soon as possible. In my cases, I have had EVERY fine reduced by showing up in court. It seems like showing up means something and it adds to the file work. They don't like paperwork. Also, if you get stuck with the whole fine or just a part of it, you can request that you be given time to pay it off. They may even offer it to you as an option n paying the fine. I have told a white lie about just starting a new job and needing time to get my first paycheck.

Finally, you live in League City which is a lot smaller than Houston. The officer WILL show up. In Houston, the time to for them to miss is their off time. Like in the evening, when they could be with their family (if he is married) or on a Friday. I'm betting your court time is during the morning or afternoon. Just show up and be a church mouse. Humble and attentive are words to remember.

Hope everything works out.
Lol I don't dress like some punk kid and I'm only going with my mom, not like I'm just acting like this is a blow off and waste of time. I'm taking this very seriously, I already know that I will have a 99.99% of getting guilty as my verdict, my main goal is to get the fine reduced but nevertheless, you bring up alot of good pointers, especially on keeping my statements terse and asking for permission to speak which definately shows a sign of maturity. Thanks for your pointers though, I will keep this in mind. :welcome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nightfire said:
Wear a dress shirt, tuck it in, nice pants, comb your hair, go there sober and off drugs, always say "yessirr" and you should at least get the fine reduced :thumbup:


Mike
Lol, I don't even think I have a suit in my house, that is definately cheesy but brings the point across that this kid is serious business. :D I'll dress in decent clothes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
killerformula said:
most of the time they reduce the fine if you bother to show up. They're not going to throw it out. Here's how you do it:

Show up overdressed. Suit is probably a bit cheesy, but maybe some nice slacks and a dress shirt, tie optional. Everybody else will be in jeans and you'll look good.

Everybody wants to tell a story; don't. Limit what you say to the judge to about 3 or 4 sentences, he's heard every story and will appreciate you not wasting too much of his time.

Stand up strait, look the man in the eye, and thank him for his time before you start talking. Talk like you're in a job interview. You know this is more than likely going to be a conservative older white guy you're talking to. You know how they feel about respect and "young folks learning their lessons" and whatnot. Play to the hand!

Should get your fine cut in half, good luck.

K
I hope I get the fine cut in half but I'm confident I will be able to. I broke the law, we all know this, but the main thing I was angry at is the ridiculous fine so hopefully I'll be able to get it down to the lower 100s mark which I'll be "happy" to pay for. :( Oh and the judge is a woman. ;) Noooo I'm not gonna hit on her haha.
 

·
Gone fishin'
Joined
·
666 Posts
Classix_Lover said:
.....:( Oh and the judge is a woman. ;) Noooo I'm not gonna hit on her haha.

You want me to hit on her? I could be up there in a couple hours, Im sure I could get her to lower the fine :mwink: :evil:

Ok joking aside, Good luck on your case tomorrow. Everyone has given you great advice, Im sure you can get that fine knocked down some.

Oh yeah, if you need a suit. Goodwill sells them for $10, they make great halloween costumes :thumbup:


Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Way back early last spring.. my son did a parts run to a stereo store,, was gone maybe 20 min. came back and was inside a car working on a stereo,, probably 1/2 hr after he got back ,, and sheriffs deputy came into the shop and ask me if I owned the white Ranger P/U,, I said yes,, he ask if i had just driven it to stereo king?? I told him No but that my son had,,[my son Billy] popped up from under the dash to find out what was going on,, the cop ask him for some ID, which he produced,, the cop then proceeded to tell him that he had thrown out a lighted cigarette , and it had flew back into a womans car and burned her upholstery,, never ask him if he smoked , brand of cigs ,or anything, and that he had to go contact the woman and evaluate the damage to her car,, then determine if he would return and issue billy a ticket,, if he did it could possibly result in a FELONY conviction for reckless burning with a 3000$ fine,, and also a charge of willful destruction of private property,, another possible fine of 1500 $.. and a misdemeanor and a felony conviction on his record,,, My son .. replied to the cop,, its raining sir,, and I don't smoke in my dads truck,,he would kick my ***** [which has a lot of truth to it] so the cop left to go interview the woman ,, 1/2 hr later he returns and issues 2 tickets for the above crimes,,
My son is flabbergasted,, POP!!,, I didn;t flip out any cigarette,, and why would a person be driving around in a downpour with her sunroof open :confused: :confused: the cop ignored him,,,
so he shows up in court,, and he pleaded not guilty,, do you have a attorney? no he said do you want a court appointed one or do you want to hire your own, of course he doesn't have the money for a lawyer,, so he tells her he would like to represent himself,, because he didn't do the crime,, [he doesn't realize that these days you are Guilty till proven otherwise,, HER [the judge] reply was that you do not have the ability to defend yourself in a court of law, and If you show up here without a attorney, It would be a huge mistake,, so here comes the people for the court appointed ones,, I look at this paperwork and all they want is your personal information, SS #,bank infro,, last time you took a crap etc... so I told him I would pay the lawyer,, we used one that I had used before,,[ a car guy :thumbup: ] so fast forward to last week,,the attorney did a fantastic job,, he checked up on this woman's background [ the accuser] got the weather report for that day, and found out that the cop didn't even go investigate the allegeded crime,, he called her,, gave her a description of billy over the phone, as a young white male 20 to 25 Y/O .. yep thats him,,, and described the damage to her seats and console over the phone,, and valued it at 2700 $ damage... so we show up in court.. not before a jury ,, but just the judge,, a different one than the first [ thank god],, so the DA starts out with the reckless burning charge,, of damage by FIRE And EXPOS ION, he called the woman and basically ask her to describe what happened,, she changed her story about how he put his arm out the window 3 times,, did you at anytime see any Fire or a Explosion,, no she said.. I was watching the judge the whole time and he was just shaking his head ,, the lawyer started stating the law that describes criminal burning, and the judge grabs his law book and starts to look it up,, the lawyer tells him what page its on,, after the judge just read for a very short moment,, he interrupted the lawyer and said that this won't fly,, and dismissed that charge,,then comes the reckless burning thing,, he got the lady on the stand and ask her what her job consited of,, Oh I am a full time caretaker for my son, and I am disabled from being hit by a car,, which turned out to mean the state is paying her to raise her kid and she looks for anything to get easy money,, lawsuits,, the judge simply looked at her, and told her,, I highly doubt that you were driving around with your S/roof open in a Oregon downpour,, and I find it awful hard to believe that it did 2700 $ damage and that acura is the only place that can fix it,, and thats more than a 92 acura is worth,, Case Dismissed,,, and the lawyer has 3 camero;s that he is going to let Billy work on to pay his bill,,, he missed about 8 days of work over this crap,, and if he would have taken the court appointed mouth,,,he would have 2 convictions on his record for something he did not do,they just try for a plea bargan,,,, Reckless burning is just 1 step below arson, and with that on his record,, he would never be able to rent a apt or anything else.. My Opinion FIND A GOOD LAWYER,, you will be screwed other wise,,,

Sorry about the LONG post,, but just couldn' resist telling you guys about this ,,,,,you can go take a nap now''' :thumbup: Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very cool story Bad Rat. It's really a damn shame that there are people like that who manipulate the hell out of their stories just trying to make a quick buck. :nono: Well, I just got back from the court and I pretty much went with what I was going to originally do and how I would act, not that I didn't have a few of your suggestions in the back of my mind. It was an open court so I got to hear a few cases and some of them had lawyers. One guy's story was so bogus about him rushing to buy his mother flowers the day before mother's day or else he wouldn't have time to surprise her with them??? They nailed him good on that saying why he couldn't have just taken his time since he had alllll day to get the flowers since mother's day was tomorrow. Many of the officers were trying to hold back their laughter. I was cracking up too but then they called my name, I came up there, acted polite and the guy who summarizes the accusations against the defendents (not sure of his name) was pretty warm and open to me, guess he could tell I wasn't another punk kid. The officer told his story, I nodded to pretty much every single part of it as he accurately described what happened several months ago. He said what drew his attraction to me was my loud motor and then the "spinning of the tires" incident but of course, he made it seem like I was just dumping the throttle down.

I got to tell my side of the story which basically was agreeing with what he said and I did tell them that the slight spinning of the tires was unintentional and happens all the time. Damn though, I was calm before I walked up there but seeing that judge having the whole attitude of, "I really don't give a sh*^ about you," made me shake like no other, my lips were quivering the whole time I was telling my story lolol. I repeated myself a few times but I couldn't help it, I was freakin nervous and I could've sworn she was dozing off after I said like 3 words. But I calmed down a bit and explained what happened and how I was mainly concerned for the eventual overheating of my el camino although I am aware now that what I did was illegal even though at the time, I didn't see any harm in it. The older guy who had been nice to me informed her at the end of my testimony that I have appeared to have learned my lesson. In short, found guilty, paid fine of $150 instead of the ludicrous $296, and I have to take defensive driving which will get this off my record and also lower my insurance. Phewwww, what a day. I know I could've testified better if I hadn't of freaked out so damn bad! Oh well, crap happens. Luckily since my mom saw the whole case as utter bs, she actually wants to cover my fine. I told her that I was paying for it but she couldn't believe how stupid this case was so she offered to pay for it. Gotta love your parents, although I'm paying for defensive driving.
 

·
Lost in the 60's
Joined
·
15,259 Posts
Glad that it turned out well for ya. :thumbup: Now fix the overheating problem will ya? Do I have to send Mikey over there to show you how to work on your ride? Sheeeeesh! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man Henry, you thought I was screwed didn't you? Lol, but thanks. I really do need to get started on installing the new mechanical fan/clutch setup and fabricating a shroud. I have everything I need on my hands except time. I go to school now and work constantly. Only have thursdays and sundays off and it's a shame that even on my days off I just want to relax because I'm so beat. Luckily I don't work today but I do have to go back up to school in 2 more hours for engine rebuilding class till 10. I'll get going on my el camino again sometime soon, I just needed a break from it for a while. Oh and please don't send brownie lover over here, I'm quite fine without that ssoc thank you! :thumbup:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top