Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post a motor of a car my brother is working on in his shop. This 29 A Tudor is just too cool. The motor is a Buick 401 with a 700R4 tranny. The motor is minus the spark plug covers but you get the idea. The manifold is my brothers and just sat there for the photo. The valve covers are what I really wanted to show you guys. They are new cast aluminum covers styled after the original fifties steel covers and use the original style decal, is that cool or what??

Brian

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the intake is what my brother plans on running in his roadster with four 50ish Olds carbs as I remember. He has a lot of really cool and strange carbs and scoops and stuff.

The car this is in is just stunning in condition. Just a super nice old straight car. It looks like something you would have found in a garage in 1952. I am jealous as hell I'll tell you. I have always loved the 28/29 A and this thing is just a cream puff.

Brian

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
The first motor I ever bought ($35) to build was a '58/9 nailhead but was disillusioned when I took it apart and found a 2 piece connecting rod - 1 short piece attached to the piston and the long piece wedged in a crack in the block. I swore off them and went on to build flatheads for several years until the Ford 'Y' blocks got cheaper.

This one is beautiful :D - I often wish that that nailhead hadn't been broken - they are still 'neat'. 3-2's, nice cast aluminum goodies.....

Dave

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Man, that is too mean! Can you get some pics when it's all done and in the car? :thumbup: Dan

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan, it's in the car in the photo. The car is almost done being it is in black suede :)

Homebrew, that water pump is aluminum and stock (all Buicks had an aluminum pump since the early sixties) but that isn't what you are seeing that is silver, the pump is painted black. The timing chain cover is what you see, it's aluminum too.

You should see it with the spark plug covers on! And by the way, look closer at the manifold, it isn't a four pot. It is a two four with two single four to two twin barrel adapters!

Brian

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
MARTINSR said:
Homebrew, that water pump is aluminum and stock (all Buicks had an aluminum pump since the early sixties) but that isn't what you are seeing that is silver, the pump is painted black. The timing chain cover is what you see, it's aluminum too.

You should see it with the spark plug covers on! And by the way, look closer at the manifold, it isn't a four pot. It is a two four with two single four to two twin barrel adapters!

Brian
That manifold is trick!!!!

How about some pics with the spark plug covers. They always make those Nailheads look special and pretty! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.