Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from my brother a little before ten Friday night. He was wondering what to do about somebody crashing through our fence and into our field.

My brother had been driving down the gravel road that borders the North edge of one of our farms when a car topped the hill going the opposite direction. The car went into a skid, just missed my brother's car, went into the ditch, dug out about thirty feet of dirt at the bottom of the ditch, knocked down a couple of trees (the trees were about six inches wide), went through our fence and rolled a couple of times before coming to a rest in our field. My brother walked over to
the wrecked car and the driver came crawling out of the back window. the car was still running so my brother reached in where the windshield used to be and shut it off. He asked the guy if he was hurt and if he needed to go to the hospital. The guy said he was alright and he wanted to be taken home just a bout three miles. My brother took him home and the guy bled all over the door and seat of my brother's car.

Then my brother went home and called me wondering what to do. He told me the guy smelled funny and he thought he was probably drunk. I told him to call the sheriff and report it (one good reason for having a cell phone, I would have called the sheriff before I even got out of my car).

After looking the accident scene over the next day I think the guy was really lucky to have walked away from that wreck. He had told my brother he was doing about 45 mph when he topped the hill, seen my brother's head lights and hit his brakes. The car skidded over 275 feet on the road, leaving black marks on the hard-packed gravel road and I measured off 230 feet the car traveled from the time it left the road. I just cannot believe the 45 mph story. He went for one heck of a ride.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm not seeing anything but little red x's in the place of pics. However, from the sounds of it, being on gravel and the distance traveledafter leaving the gravel, I'd guesstimate a speed of above 65 or 70. That's just my $.03 though....

In a while, Chet.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
That's why they call you Crashfarmer????

Posession is 9/10 of the law......... :D

Why didnt the Sherriff send a wrecker to come and get it?.....Here, even if you put a car in the ditch and you dont report it, its a crime.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dutch, I was glad the idiot didn't hit my brother but it really shook him up.

Poncho, I assumed that my brother could get in some kind of trouble if he didn't report it.
The Sheriff didn't call a wrecker since the guy promised him to get the car out of our field.

I personally don't care if he comes and gets the car or not, I can take care of that if he doesn't get it. I would like to have the fence fixed, I hate to fix fence.

Schnitz, I figure he was doing at least 70, maybe more. The car really had to be decelerating fast when it was plowing about thirty feet of frozen ground at the bottom of the ditch. If he was doing 45 I doubt it would have even went in the ditch at all judging from how far it slid on the road.
And since you get nothing but red x's i will attach a couple of pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
If he was drunk your brother may have aided a criminal to leave the scene of his crime. :sweat:
Enter Columbo.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
malc said:
If he was drunk your brother may have aided a criminal to leave the scene of his crime. :sweat:
Enter Columbo.
Yes, I think you are right. My wife was really mad at my brother for taking the guy home, she said it was just enabling him to do the same thing over again. She doubted the guy learned anything from his experience. He might just kill someone the next time.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thanks crash. Yup, I'd say above 70. He probably was doing 80+ and panicked with the view of another car coming.

BTW, a co-worker of mine had her husband crash his truck either last night or the night before, while drinking, of course. I don't have pics, or very many details except....

Newer style fully loaded HEMI Dodge Quad cab.
Wreck happened within a quarter mile of home.
Had just dropped someone else off before heading on home.
Truck hit a culvert, and a bunch of trees, as it went nose to tail and then barrel rolling.
He was ejected and the truck landed on him.
He is alive.
Co-worker (who is a First Responder) was the first to arrive, and she didn't recognize the truck (and possibly her husband--that's probably why he's still alive...)
He was Medi-vac lifted to the regions' best trauma-equipped hospital in Marshfield.

She (my co-worker) is now dealing with the insurance issues. The company is going to drop them. (Duh) She's being told that.....

Homeowners premiums will double or triple.
Her GMC Envoy will run $2000 or more to insure (per year or every 6 months, I don't know).
Coverage for the Snowmobiles, jetski's, and the boat will all triple.
And lastly, they will have to be paying high risk insurance for 10 or more years.

All that for a buzzed feeling. Simply isn't worth it.

Bottom lines,

1. THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK. THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!
2. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.

Be responsible

In a while, Chet.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Good advice Chet.....some folks learn that too late though.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Read the posts Killer....they know where the guy lives...Crashs brother drove him home.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Henry Highrise said:
Read the posts Killer....they know where the guy lives...Crashs brother drove him home.
Yes, we know where he lives. When I was in high school I picked up hay on the farm that he lives on. He lives on a trailer on that farm and his in-laws live in the house. My daughter informed me that his daughter rides the bus with her. He has called me and left a message about fixing the fence, I suppose I should call him back.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just a small neighbor hood problem,, if the sheriff isn't concerned, and the guy takes care of the damage,, all's well I would say, :thumbup: , he is lucky in a couple of ways,, came out alive and avoided getting in trouble appairently,, that car sure is beyond help,, hows the diet going crash,, how much have you lost? Bill

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bad Rat said:
Just a small neighbor hood problem,, if the sheriff isn't concerned, and the guy takes care of the damage,, all's well I would say, :thumbup: , he is lucky in a couple of ways,, came out alive and avoided getting in trouble appairently,, that car sure is beyond help,, hows the diet going crash,, how much have you lost? Bill
I have lost over 55 pounds, not sure how much over since I haven't weighed myself in quite a while now but the pants are getting looser and I need another new belt. I find that I do better if I weigh myself infrequently. Watching the scales too closely just tends to make me anxious. I limit myself to 45 carbs or less per meal and eat snacks of 15 carbs or less between meals so I don't get so hungry. I also watch the carbs in everything I drink.

It was really hard at first since I was used to consuming mass quantities of food at every meal. I could easily down 15 pieces of pizza and top it off with three big bowls of ice cream. I could sit and eat a whole box of cereal and still want more when I finished. I was well on my way to becoming one of those huge guys you see at the all-you-can-eat buffets that need two chairs to sit down, one chair for each cheek. I could out eat almost everyone I knew.

I am quite surprised at how much weight I have lost. I can get around so much better. the hip bothers me a lot less and there are days that I can almost walk normally. I can even get up off the ground without feeling like a beached whale.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Wow, that guy is lucky to be alive. My dad hates it when I say this but I have absolutely no sympathy for people that drink and drive. As far as I'm concerned, it would have been one less idiot to deal with on the roads...

One of my moms customers was on her way home one night on a rural winding road when she was hit by a drunk driver. Her S10 Blazer was totaled but she was very fortunate to be alive and have only minor injuries. They had to cut the roof off in order to get her out. The guy that hit her wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was killed on impact.

·
Sloe Lurner
193 Posts
Brings back terrible memories

Lost my three best Friends in High School this way. Only they hit the other car. Killed them to. This happened 5 minutes after they dropped me off. And yes Liquor was involved. havent touched the stuff since 84... :( Id definetly make him fix the fence and get the point across next time he may not be so lucky...

·
Registered
547 Posts
CrashFarmer2 said:
I am quite surprised at how much weight I have lost. I can get around so much better. the hip bothers me a lot less and there are days that I can almost walk normally. I can even get up off the ground without feeling like a beached whale.
:D big enough to go bear huntin with a buggy whip, huh??? :thumbup:

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
Wow clad your brother is ok. well fixing the fence would be cool. Country living number one killer on the gravel roads, going to fast do to not many people traveling on the roads and he was not expecting anyone being there panic hit and he lost control what speed he was going I would say 50 - 60 plus Ive skid that far before but never took out anything when I lived in Colorado. The wife did the same think but slam the power wagon in to an embankment. I slid off in to a ditch screw around thought I was a dirt track driver LOL Put it in to 4x4 mode and out I went. Well learn my lesson. I was luck I never did any thing stupid where I could not see the road a head making sure know one else was a round. Still stupid I could have flip my truck to.

Weight lost cool me to.

Craig

1 - 20 of 27 Posts