Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, Im an idiot. I was filling my t400 with about ten quarts, 4 over recommended. I figured dispick was wrong since there was a aftermarket pan, and autozone told me 10q a couple times.

What does this do and how is it bad? Im guessing the fluid isnt cooled properly because my floor was always so hot. I noticed the fluid would get wierd and the transmission would stop working untill I changed the fluid, I did this twice untill I got a junkyard tranny. I overfilled that one untill it stopped working, and then finally added the correct amount of fluid.

Could I have damaged my tourque converter? Current transmission seems solid at high revs but just dosnt seem like it hooks up from a stop... Even in first it revs to ~2grand (moving slowly)... then it like slips and hooks up and goes.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
over flow

Over filling will prevent the clutches from properly engaging in their packs, and produce slippage and a burned up transmission.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Easiest way to drain it down?

disconnect the cooler lines fittings on the radiator, have some one click the starter to see which line is fluid to the radiator. Hose into a bucket for that line reconnect the other, have someone start the car, yell stop at ? qts, check the stick.

Make it very easy to change about 2 qts of fluid every 20K? $5?:

your cooler line is probably 1/4" pipe thread, on the" to the rad line".....
go buy 2 short threaded pieces, a female T, a pipe plug and a piece of hose.....

pipe from the rad to the tee to the line, plug in the bottem....

change the fluid, screw the 2nd pipe and hose in place of the plug, start the car, (in about one minute it will drain all the fluid down to the pump....DON'T GO MAKE A CUP OF COFFEE!), drain it into a big measuring cup to tell you how much to add back in new fluid.

" an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Great for any tranny that has to work hard or turn faster from lower gears.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
mrfreshnklean said:
. . . and autozone told me 10q a couple times.
You could also save a couple bucks over the above recommendation by simply removing the line at the radiator that comes from the LOWER fitting on the transmission case, and using a hose into a gallon jug.

Just disconnect the power lead from the distributor to prevent the engine from running and you will reduce your chances of making a large mess, and removing too much fluid.

And simply connect the line to the radiator when you are done.

OH YEAH, the sales clerks at auto zone do not impress me at my local store, or any in the surrounding towns around here either.

They have the least knowledgable clerks of any of the auto parts chain stores I have seen yet, the closest one to me had a clerk that argued with me that my truck (sitting right outside the window in plain view) "did not exist" and the headlights I wanted "would NOT fit".

They also told me the engine I swapped in my 82 C-10 wasn't on the option list, and the gaskets I needed would not fit, I then told them to get me the gaskets for the car I pulled the engine from (before I swapped it into the truck), I took pictures with me the next time to prove to the head know-it-all that I did have a Chevy truck with a big block Cadillac engine in it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
What does CRS mean?

Cant Remember S***.
Chronic Retardation Syndrome is a habitual problem of teenagers, not seasoned citizens.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
no Max, teenagers suffer from "HOoC"

that's "Hormones Out of Control" disease.

it's now a proven scientific fact that when they turn 13 their brain physically unplugs from their body, they run on chemicals in their body not electricity in their brain till they are atleast 18.

and by the time they are 21 they have given you OPD and CRS!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: over flow

Max Keith said:
Over filling will prevent the clutches from properly engaging in their packs, and produce slippage and a burned up transmission.
what??? the only down side to over filled tranny is the mess that will occur from the fluid exhausting from the Vent no pun intended

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
fluid overfill

You dont have to overfill a transmission by much for it to interfer with the clutch packs. It doesnt even have to get up to the input and output shafts to do that. If it gets as high as the shafts, it can very easily run out through the front and rear seals of the transmission.

Red65, I knew there was a connection there somewhere on HOC and OPD or CRS. I think CRS tends to set in at an earlier age than does OPD.

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Max hit 'er. Overfilling the trans gets fluid up into the rotating assy. where it can be airated(sp?). The now foamy fluid is used to engage clutch packs/bands, but as physics dictates, the air can be compressed thus reducing the clamping power exerted on the friction elements. As they were designed to be operated with Xpsi of pressure, the reduction of force caused by the compression of the air bubble results in clutch slippage.

Max, your totally right about CRS, lol!! Now, where did I put the darn keys..........?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
sbchevy,

good explaination of why to much fluid makes a "slush box" tranny.

why didn't Max and I remember to write that, oh yeah, CRS

your only 25, if your already suffering from CRS, chances are your not spending enough time in your garage......good for the brain and body

·
Registered
576 Posts
too much fluid

sbchevfreak said:
Max hit 'er. Overfilling the trans gets fluid up into the rotating assy. where it can be airated(sp?). The now foamy fluid is used to engage clutch packs/bands, but as physics dictates, the air can be compressed thus reducing the clamping power exerted on the friction elements. As they were designed to be operated with Xpsi of pressure, the reduction of force caused by the compression of the air bubble results in clutch slippage.

Max, your totally right about CRS, lol!!
Now, where did I put the darn keys..........?
Let me see if I understand you thinking here?????
Once your fluid level is too high rather than the fluid being forced out the vent it will whip air and become aerated???? wow that a new view, I have been in the trans repair business since 78 and seen many transmission overfilled and never have transmission trouble from that. the seals will not blow out or leak from overfill as well . air bubble's in the fluid is a sign the filter is not covered causing airated oil....

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
overfilled

As for the overfilling causing the afore mentioned aeriation problems, which was put in better words than I used, was told to me several years ago by a guy that was a transmission guy at the local Ford dealer.
Im inclined to agree with that assessment, since I managed to destroy the intermediate band etc due to having an overfilled transmission. Found out later that I had the wrong dipstick in the tranny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts