Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded for an 86 toyota truck 2wd and I was wandering is there any way to get rid of the slop in the shifter? its like u have to push it a mile away toward the passengers seat to get 5th or reverse. Is there anyway to get rid of this?

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
theres 1 thing that comes to mind right off the bat... i would check the shifter seats that the shifter sits in, and there might be 1 that goes to the top that holds the shifter down... they discintigrate after time... if they r ok, might be worth taking to a trans shop for a deeper look.. gl :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
as I rember my 87 toy had the same problem after about 200,000 miles and started jumping out of 5th whenever you let off then reapplied the gas at about 250,000. things just wear and you have 3 choices 1,new shifter from toyota $$$$$$$$2 look for aftermarket parts for an older truck such as yours ,or 3 live with it .by the way I sold mine at 300,000 without ever going into the shifter or the trans!just got use to the old girls querks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed it

i went to the toyota dealer and they knew exactly what I wanted before I got done telling them all i said was "Im trying to get the slop out of a shifter" and there it was. all of it was 12 dollars it was a plastic clip on the end of the shifter and a bushing for it. and its like NEW literally. but thanks for all of your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.