Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i dont post very often, infact i think this is my second time.
but to the point, i am a senior in high school and i am enroling in osu olkmulgee in oklahoma, and i was brought to the attention that i need to buy quite abit of tools, i will get a 50% discount on snap on and mac tools and i might be enrolling next week for next school year, i was wondering, can you all give me idea of what i will need to buy, i know a box is neccasary but what tools would you recomend i need for school, and internship? thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
probably basic hand tools mostly. sanding blocks of different sizes, a 6" orbital sander, hammer and dolly set, sockets and wrenchs to start out with. The school should have bigger items like mig welder, ect. In fact the school may give you a list of what you need to buy. Snap on has some nice tools, but they are pricey. I try to stay away from the truck, to easy to get a big bill to pay off when you only have to give a little bit of cash and have a brand spankin new tool. But I suppose when you are a student and get a 50 percent discount, that is the time to acquire some. But most students are broke enough going through school. Just don't let it get too out of hand. Things may be a little different when you get out of school and do it as your job. Make sure those tools are going to be how you make your money before you have many thousands into them. Just my opinion. A stud welder is nice to have as well as some good paint guns. Here is one thread where they discuss basic tools you may need.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wow-where-do-i-start-98341.html

Your blocks and sanders, grinder, hammers and dollys, paint guns, and sockets and wrenches is probably be what you will be using most often though. And of course good safety equiptment like respirator, eye and hearing protection.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I would think the school would have requirements list for the class/es you will be taking. I would contact them. Talk to the instructor also, if anybody would know he would.
Mark

3,214 Posts
If you are looking for tools that you need in class, by all means, check with the instructor. If you are looking ahead to the time after school, I would wait for a while. You would hope to complete the education and continue on in that profession. There is also a chance that you will decide that it isn't for you. If you finish school and go to work, you will find right away what you will need. A bunch of high dollar paint guns probably won't be necessary for a body man. Most around here only need a primer gun (about $100 or less) You will need many pairs of vice grips, hammers, dollies, sanding blocks, and typical hand tools(wrenches and sockets) to start.

Tools are a big investment, and should be purchased according to the needs. Keep in mind that you make no money with the toolbox, it is what's in it, and your ability, that makes the money.

Aaron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.