Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there in the central virginia area, with expirance choping a 60's car and know of some one to cut curved glass? The side glass is no problem just have new glass cut to pattern. But curved windshield and back glass is another problem.
Heck anyone anyplace Know someone who can cut curved glass?
[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: [email protected] ]</p>

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have read about people changing the angle of the windsheild (laying it back) when they chop the top, to keep from having to cut it. Haven't tried it myself YET, but would like to try a chop,channel, job next. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
when i was a kid (30 or 40 years ago ) i saw a curved windsheild cut down with a sand blasted a little bit at a time
talked to a guy 2 or 3 weekes ago with a chopped 55 chevy and he said they cut the windsheild with a sand blaster also
wish i could tell you more but glass and body work is not my strong point

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changing the angle of the windshield does help lower the top and what I had planned was laying over the back window, but it would still need cut some.
Yes, sand blasting is the way to cut curved glass, a glass shop on the right coast can do the job but, it's $200 plus the cost of windshield at $180 + another $100 to ship. That is a bunch more than I want to pay and without the car to fit to, there is no grauntee that the glass would fit right. I'd like a local place(within 100 miles) that we could trailer the car to.
Another problem it seems no one makes the rear glass anymore and cutting without a spare to fall back on is scary.
Maybe, removing the whole top and replacing with a late model top and glass would a better idea?
Papabird

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
I used to be into Lead Sleds big time, but I had to make a choice. I used to go to the junk yard with a tape measure and try to figure out what would look good on what. Maybe you could fit a late model windshield and go with aq carson top? just a think

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've read where you can shorten glass with a belt sander... read several articles where mid 50 ford trucks were dropped two-three inches and they just ground the glass down with a belt sander and a steady hand... 'course I've also heard where they went through two or three windshields before they completed one good one

for what it's worth...

john

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am also searching for info on chopping tops. I plan to do my old 35 ford soon and am looking for info on the process of chopping a top. My glass is flat of course, so my primary search is for technique on addressing the actual chopping of the top. I once found (but later lost) a web site that took you all the way through the process with photos and step by step instructions. If anyone out there knows where it's located, please let me know. Or if you know of any helpful articles, I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
8,453 Posts
Get a copy of "How to Chop Tops in 301 Photos", Motorbooks International, 729 Prospect Ave., P.O. Box 1, Osceola, WI, 54020-0001, 1-800-826-6600. Shows step by step how-to on chopping tops on a Model T, Model A, '34 Ford Coupe, '39 Plymouth 4-dr, '41 Ford Convert., '60 Olds Sedan, '66 Charger. Also filling a top in a old for soft top sedan. Should answer most of your questions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Beetle9 just finish a 35 Ford can send pics if ya want some before and after. Let me know didn't do the chop but had a friend do it

·
Registered
323 Posts
there is a shop in conneticut, manchester I think that cuts curved glass for chopped vehicles but I can't find the info, got it somewhere might be Manchester glass but not sure

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input, I've decided not to chop for now, maybe later. So far a quickie engine trans swap has turned into a two year restomod. I can finally see this car back together. I just got all the seals and weathstrip,so now it's shoot the paint and reassemble the beast and drive.
Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts