1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the stock 1965 383 Chrysler motor in my Plymouth Fury

2 barrel carb

All kinds of questions

I took the heads in and had em gone through, cleaned, checked, hardened seats (it was still on leaded fuel even)

The same old rockers are on it

Now for some questions... If the lifters are hard to pull out of thier bore should they be changed? They're hyrdraulic lifters btw...

I'd rather not change them because I'm keeping the same cam... I don't know how much I should worry about putting new lifters on that old cam...

Also, I mixed up all of my rods on accident, is this a big deal? I know it don't cost much for rods but I have ALOT of little things I have to buy for this car and I am strapped for cash.. TIME IS A MAJOR FACTOR, I need to be driving this car SOON (as in a couple days soon) so I cannot afford to save up for extra parts.

If I get new rods, do I need new lifters and vice versa...?

Also... I can't find an intake manifold gasket ANYWHERE without having to order it and wait (as i said i need this car going NOW)... My father in law is telling me to use blue rtv silicone on both sides of the valley pan instead...

That sounds like the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway cause if you guys tell me to go ahead and do it carefully I will for a temporary fix.

Also, do my rocker shafts need to be torqued to my heads? I found my torque specs for my heads, but I can't find them for the rockers.

If so then I'll go buy the book (although I doubt it'll be easy to find)

And lastly, any suggestions on some things I should do?

Common problems during a top end rebuild... Things to watch out for... Good ideas to help out... anything?

There's more... I'll come back and add to this thread later.

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
The pushrods are not a big deal..................don't mix up the lifters.

They are sticking due to oil, sludge build up. If you aren't changing the cam, don't bother removing them, if it was running good before.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I agree with Poncho. It would have been better if you hadn't mixed up the push rods but as long as none of them are bent you should be OK. If none of the lifters were sticking before then leave them alone. There's no real reason to change them. If you had changed the cam then it would be mandatory.

It's hard to believe you can't get a set of intake gaskets from the local dealer or Napa store. Try them again because I wouldn't recommend using RTV in its place. As a last resort you can order a set from Summit or Jegs and have them in just a couple days. Using RTV if it's not done perfectly could allow coolant to get into the cylinders which would be a very BAD thing. Finally the torque for the rocker shafts is 25 foot pounds according to the Mopar Performance database.

Centerline

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Rocker shafts are torqued to 30 ft/pds, make sure the oil holes are pointing down.;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
"Using RTV if it's not done perfectly could allow coolant to get into the cylinders which would be a very BAD thing"..... Big block mopars have a "dry" intake- no coolant to worry about.. I agree that you need to use the gaskets to avoid gas eating up rtv (hylomar will work- makes a heckuva mess if you ever need to redo it though)

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
69coronet said:
"Using RTV if it's not done perfectly could allow coolant to get into the cylinders which would be a very BAD thing"..... Big block mopars have a "dry" intake- no coolant to worry about..
Quite correct. Don't know what I was thinking. Been playing with early hemis too long which do have wet intakes I guess.

Centerline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.