Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand how a Torque Converter works, however i do not understand how interchangeable they may be? And i do not understand what it means when it mentions stall speed (or stall RPM) For example if i had an 8" 1500-2500 stall RPM torque converter and i want to place a 10" 2000-3500 stall RPM torque converter in its place. is this possible? does it matter on brand or what CID the engine is? how do i know if i purchase a torque converter that it is compatible and mountable to my flywheel?

I guess a little history with my problem would be needed here. I have a 1985 Firebird. it has a small 2.8 V6. When you press on the throttle you get high rpm's with little movement of the vehicle. Transmission fluid is at the correct fluid level. car shifts just fine when you shift through the automatic transmission range (including reverse although it doesn't have that "torque grab" feel to it anymore). also it will stall out at slow speeds. these symptoms started out minor then became worse as time went on. took almost a year for the complete degrade of the symptoms. because of the type of symptoms i am to believe my problem is the torque converter. any help on how to decide what type of torque converter to replace it with would be greatly appreciated :confused:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.