Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '68 Chevy II with a straight 6, 230. It has a Torque-Drive tranny, and I can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about them. Does anyone know if or where I can get a re-build kit for it? I'm considering beefing up my 230, but I'm not sure how much power the torque-drive can handle. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A torque-drive is a powerglide that you have to shift yourself. I had one in a 69 Acadian (A canadian version of a Nova). I can't imagine there being too many experts on these, mine was the only one I ever saw. Anytime I told people I had to shift my automatic myself, the just thought I was some kind of nut who was too cheap to get my trans fixed! I always assumed that internally they were the same as a glide without any of the shifting 'stuff' in the valve body.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
stu,

I've been waiting for you to chime in here.

very few folks know the torque drive were built. Made little sense to me.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
adtkart

in 3 decades I think I have seen 3 torque drives.

stu...... many folks post the same question on several sites. I am sure you know this. What gripes my butt is when someone takes my tranny answer to a different bbs and starts a thread title about my answer.........titled : " is this correct information? " , then they post my answer to see how things fly

We had an old tranny dropped off today...... the sales guys are lookin at it and asking : "what is it?" ......... I respond "It's a medium case cast-iron cruise-O for an FE ford engine.

I heard about 3 people say ; "huh?".... dang kids LOL

An interesting deal is I still have an original / unused TransGo shift kit for a cast-iron cruise-O on my shelf at home.

:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
stu said:
This bozo is posting on other sites too.

That's because up untill yesterday, no one offered this "Bozo" an answer, which is why I had to post on another bbs.

"stu...... many folks post the same question on several sites. I am sure you know this. What gripes my butt is when someone takes my tranny answer to a different bbs and starts a thread title about my answer.........titled : " is this correct information? " , then they post my answer to see how things fly"

I'm not one of those someones...I simply posted my question somewhere else in hopes of finding some answers

chv4me said:
A torque-drive is a powerglide that you have to shift yourself. I had one in a 69 Acadian (A canadian version of a Nova). I can't imagine there being too many experts on these, mine was the only one I ever saw. Anytime I told people I had to shift my automatic myself, the just thought I was some kind of nut who was too cheap to get my trans fixed! I always assumed that internally they were the same as a glide without any of the shifting 'stuff' in the valve body.

Anytime I went to a tranny shop, I got the same responses...pretty frustrating. And no one could tell me if parts were interchangable because they had never heard of a TD. At one point I actually started believing they were right (that the tranny WAS suppose to shift by itself).

·
Registered
427 Posts
A Torque Drive is a PowerGlide with no shift controls.
You were told this in an earlier reponse.
There is no governor and the shift valves have been removed from the valve body.
A PowerGlide rebuild kit will fit just fine.
With the exception of the valve body gaskets.
I don't know what else you want unless it's for someone to come to your place and rebuild it for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.