Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted my 52 merc truck in a silver metallic came out pretty good but careless taping left a few bare spots.I want to touch up when just a bit warmer out,how to blend without edges.i am buffing with 2000 and 3000 buffers doing fair job,will I be able to blend in .I am also using 3m paint 3 step chemicals

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
I would venture a guess its the 3M buffing system he mentioned.

Silver just isn't a good color for spot repairs, especially if its single stage and / or right near an edge. So yep more info needed. Sounds like a possibly tough fix to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we painted the truck under the worst conditions, the metallic grey went on fairly well then garage temp.. dropped and some small metallic runs went black and flies stuck l to paint . When weather warms up would like to sand out several small runs and missed edges from tape overlap.The reference to 3m paint system is a chemical 3 stage buffing system. I am told they are going to take over Mequire products.3 m is a multinational chemical co..I buffed with 3m 3000 grit buffers it brought up finish nicely then chem. 1 then 3m 2 chem.but I finished with Meg. ultimate buffing that's when they told me about upcoming buy out.I have built this truck with no assistance so said I would paint it too,previous paint job 1991 mg never too old to learn. THANKS

·
Registered
850 Posts
Is this single stage or base clear? If you have metallic runs, I am guessing single stage. Buffing is near impossible with single stage metallic colors.

If you have runs, flies and taping issues, then it sounds like a mess and a redo is needed.

Let us know what you used for paint and pictures can help us out a lot more too.

I used 3m for many years - tried Chemical Guys and I would never touch 3m again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.