Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
members.shaw.ca/daltonboys
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks here's the quandry. My son has a chance at a couple of vehicles. I had told him I'd split the purchase price with him on his first project and he's holding me to it (go figure). The decission to be made this weekend is where he should drop his coinage. points to keep in mind.
1) He's just turned 13.
2) Part-time employment.
3) Has a "nice" bankroll to start.
4) Almost 4 years to complete project.

Here are the cars in the running with pros / cons.

1949 Chevrolet, one owner, hasn't been driven in 20 yrs, "most parts" still there and salvageable. 4 door. 750.00 CAN.

1938 Willys 2 Door Sedan with '40 front end. Rolling chasis (orig)
Body rough but very decent shape. Most trim and interior parts and pieces missing. 6500.00 CAN.

1940 Chev Special Deluxe Coupe. Body all there, re-pop / NOS panels needed included in price. Rolling chasis with Mll front end.
No interior, some missing exterior trim missing. Car is dissasembled at this point. 1500.00 CAN

My thoughts?
The '49 would be the "quickest" to get up and moving, BUT is it worth the money to get there.
The Willys is below market value now, and would be a real "one of a kind. BUT the parts and pieces he would require are noteably hard to find and expensive when we do.
The 40 Coupe is all there, parts missing are available as re-pop's. The front end is done, BUT body panels/ body mounts require work.

Biggest bang for his buck? What are your thoughts?

:confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Willys would be cool, but they're not that practical to drive - for $6500 you could find him a nice used honda that would last for a decade or so....

Out of the Chevy's the 2 door will probably be more 'collectible' than the sedan in the long run, but given this will be his first car, I would go for what I could build the easiest and repair the cheapest.

I just think back to how many fender benders my first car was subjected to....

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some good points paperairplane, keep in mind this will not be a "daily driver" (except to car runs, shows etc) during the summer. He's a very very level headed young man, and running under my insurance he knows I'll plant him the first time he screws up jackin around in her.....LOL Besides if I even ATTEMPTED to put him in a Honda or anything of the kind he'd smile, shake his head and ask for a bus schedule! Raised with a wrench in his hand and grease on the bottle nipple he is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know this is kind-of off subject, but I just found out that I am going to be a Dad in May!!! I read this post and just started daydreaming about possible days ahead when I will be able to start a project with my child....I can only imagine that it will be a very rewarding experience.

Good luck with your project!!! I am sure you will both feel closer when you are done.:D

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
MYRIDE said:
Ok folks here's the quandry. My son has a chance at a couple of vehicles. I had told him I'd split the purchase price with him on his first project and he's holding me to it (go figure). The decission to be made this weekend is where he should drop his coinage. points to keep in mind.
1) He's just turned 13.
2) Part-time employment.
3) Has a "nice" bankroll to start.
4) Almost 4 years to complete project.

Biggest bang for his buck? What are your thoughts?

:confused:
Congratulations! Your son seems to be a very responsible young man. Not many his age work any kind of a job or even have the sense to save any money.

You mention three vehicles and your preference. What is your son's preference? It seems to me that whichever vehicle he likes would be the best choice.

The best of luck with whatever vehicle he decides on and hopefully you will post some ongoing photos.

P.S. My choice of the three would be the 1940 Chev Special Deluxe Coupe. I like the style.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
VWFan......Congratulations!!! :thumbup:

It was very rewarding having his input and help with the '38 we just completed. We both learned alot about the build and one another indeed. Growing closer.....you bet! I wouldn't give that time together with him for anything. Good luck with you and yours. My thought was, if I can keep him interested (and broke) enough to keep him "out of the malls" and away from other "interests" during his younger years I "should" be out of the water by the time he's 17-18 and old (big) enough to tell me where to go...lol

Frisco said:
Congratulations! Your son seems to be a very responsible young man. Not many his age work any kind of a job or even have the sense to save any money.

You mention three vehicles and your preference. What is your son's preference? It seems to me that whichever vehicle he likes would be the best choice.

The best of luck with whatever vehicle he decides on and hopefully you will post some ongoing photos.

P.S. My choice of the three would be the 1940 Chev Special Deluxe Coupe. I like the style.

Frisco, thanks he is indeed a very responsible young fella. Don't get me wrong, he does "try" and get away with things at times but didn't we all? His "first" choice was the Willy's, he has designs on a blower etc. After researching the missing parts and the initial cash out-lay he himself decided that he'd be just as excited about the '40 coupe. He likes the style of mine and can still intergrate some interior designs he has planned. The 4 door interested him for the simple fact the interior he has designed works best for a 4 door. 4 buckets, full length concole wrapping up and behind the rear seats, much like the Chevy that sold at Barrett- Jackson this year. His only change to the interior is as he says "a cup in the console.....so that anyone that wants a ride can chip in for gas!"

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW....75 read the message...only 3 have an opinion.........is the "subject matter" to "old". Ricer threads get more response.

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
Man , dad! Talk about a tough choice. Can I be your adopted son for awhile?:D my first choice would be the Willy's but I think I might go with the one that takes the least amount of time and the least amount of money for his limited income. Good luck, both of you.:thumbup: Let us know what you choose and of course we want pics of the progress.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
38 special said:
Man , dad! Talk about a tough choice. Can I be your adopted son for awhile?:D my first choice would be the Willy's but I think I might go with the one that takes the least amount of time and the least amount of money for his limited income. Good luck, both of you.:thumbup: Let us know what you choose and of course we want pics of the progress.
That may be a little hard to explain to "the little woman"...LOL
I hear you, the Willys would be nice BUT a long road and "Mucho Dinero" (probably a great portion being mine!) to see it finished. The '49 is the cheapest and quickest the '40 is a little longer to finish but not break the bank expensive for him to do.......think I'll suggest "middle of the road" to him.

As soon as he hauls it home we'll start him a project journal or just continue in mine. Wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's tough for me to suggest one for YOUR project, but I think I'd go with the 40 Chev too, just because I like them and it sounds like it is at a good starting point for a project car. I guess I'd rule out the Willys just cuz it looks like dad's already got one of those. The 49 has 4 doors, so I wouldn't want it, but you did say he likes the 4 door for his interior.....I know I'm not much help..... Here's what I say.....Get him a VW Beetle! j/k lol! :mwink:

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VWF.........well mine (from a few angles) can look like a Willys but she's a Dodge Brothers Coupe. I'm leaning towards the '40 though. Ultimately it's his decision that way he can be happy with it..(or not).....lol

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Go with the 40 Ford

The Willys is small and unless your son is a small man he will be shoulder to shoulder to who ever is in the passengers seat. I drove a Buddy's Willys and it is uncomfortable to say the least. I really like the look of the 40 Ford over anything else....I might even be willing to trade my 37 Dodge business coupe for one if it were to come available to me. Besides look at all the money you will save on the Ford to Begin with. And I'm a die hard GM guy...who wooda' thunk??

Tazz

RAt Rods Rule!

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
First of all, where were the choices like that when I was 13...jeez, lucky kid. Second Im one of the younger guys on here so I can give you a point of view closer to your sons. He sounds like an interested kid, but I know that when I started on my first project (I was also 13) I liked to see things move fast and it was easy to get disheartened when they didnt. I would think that something that doesnt require some high skill level work would be best so you and he can work on everything yourselves and together. He will learn more and ya'll will share something important to both of you. Whatever he picks be patient with him and teach him. I wish my old man had. :pimp:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Congratulations to both you and your son for having the opportunity to make this decision together and to pursue the completion of the the project. This is a golden opportunity to guide him through a decision making process that he can use the rest of his life with some refining as his experiences grow. And as suggested by Frisco, let him make the final decision after both of you have "brainstormed" the pros and cons of each vehicle. Now is the time to introduce him to goal setting (since he has already saved some money, then he has had some previous introduction). His decision, which is really a choice will teach him a lot about making good , bad or indifferent choices in life and there are lessons to be learned from good and bad choices, but to quote one smarter than I: "Lessons learned from failure are dear lessons and are not likely to be forgotten". But I also like to include lessons from successes are also dear and also not likely to be forgotten.

In your brainstorming, write down anything that comes to your minds and do your thinking out loud so that many items are tossed around. Don't debate or elaborate anything at this time. When you seem to have exhausted every hair brained ideals, stop and start reducing the list by grouping related ideals and rolling into one or two thoughts in each group. Now is the time to start clarifying and fleshing out your thoughts.Some people have already provided you with many thoughts on things like parts availability and costs, curb appeal, driveability, room, resale etc. I'll stop here and the ball is in your court.

Now my thoughts are on the 41 Coupe for the reason of completeness, availability of repop parts, a 4 door any thing would never have the lasting apeal of a coupe, thus the biggest return on your investment of time and money would be realized from the Coupe, and I think his pride of ownership would be greater and more rewarding with this car.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision and of course, start your journal with the decision making process, followed with the pics of the pick up and arrival of your choice. You may also want to include pics of the first and second runner ups.

Trees.

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
The '49! More and more parts are starting to be re-popped for the 49-54 Chevys.

C

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
my vote is for the 40 i love those cars but your sons input should have some weight

if you can get someone to chop the top (or if you can do it yourself) there is nothing that says COOL!!!!!!!!!!! like a choped 40 coupe that there is an awsome looking ride

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trees, very astute and wise words indeed. I have made that very point with him and had him read everyones feedback and suggestions.

I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone that has given there input into this, it has been greatly apretiated and every suggestion will be taken to heart in his final decision.

As it stands at the moment, he has already decided that passing on the Willys is the smartest move at the moment. Not that hard work, size, costs are a big part of it. He states that if he sets a goal for 3 years he's more likely to reach that goal with either of the other two.

So were down to the '40 or'49 Chevy's........my choice (coupe) notwithstanding ultimately it will be his baby.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts