Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, need some help please. I towed my 81 camaro on a 4 wheel auto transport 1100 miles. After I got to where I was going I started the car and took it off the transport and it died. The car ran great before I towed it. It will start and run for a few seconds and then it dies like it starving for fuel. The fuel filter is clean. Could it be vapor locked? Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
not a pro but..............

was there a major difference in elevation maybe your carb isnt set right for the new altitude just a guess. might need to check air fuel mixture if u have an aftermarket carb or maybe your fuel pump went out

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moved from delaware with an elevation of 26 ft above sea level to florida with an elevation of 10 ft above sea level. Not too significant but i'll try to adjust the air/fuel and see if that works. It does start and run when cold for a few minutes and then dies like its not getting enough fuel.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
How about more info on the engine. The only thing I can think of that might have happened is during transport, the fuel in your tank was doing a lot of sloshing around and might have stired up some crud in the tank or damaged the screen on the end of the pick up tube. How much fuel did you have it the tank during transport? If you suspect fuel starvation, T in a pressure gauge and check it when you start it cold and see what happens.
If you moved from a jilted woman, look for sugar in the fuel tank inlet! :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is some more info. I checked all fuel lines and vaccume lines and they are good, I checked fuel pressure and it's holding steady at 6 psi, and all fuel filters are clean. I checked the float levels and even adjusted the choke back and forth to see if maybe it had moved during transport. Nothing seems to be working. The car starts everytime and runs for about 30-40 seconds and then dies. Anyone have any other suggestions?

350ci, holley street avenger carberator w/ electric choke, MSD HEI, 36* all in @ 3000. Car ran great and was dialed in prior to towing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.