Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'd Rather Be Blown
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a Tbucket with a turbo 350 bolted to a blown 350 for show. I have a tow dolly. I have a bad back right now so driving it very far is not comfy. I know that its not ok to tow it a long ways with out pulling the drive line. So my question is how far can i tow this rig with the drive line in but with out hurting my transmition. #2 is it true that if i let the car idle on the dolly i can tow it for a short ways.#3 what is a short ways 1mile or 20 miles. the farthest that i would tow it with out unhooking the drive line is 15 to 20 miles. can you help me please

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
Why not turn it around on the dolly and tie down the steering???

I think most of the new car manuals did not really recommend towing with the rear down on this era transmissions. 10 miles at very low speed maybe. It could cost you a trans or about 1/2 the cost of a nice 16 foot used trailer. Sell the dolly and save one trans and it is justified easily.

I just upgraded to an enclosed trailer but with our open car trailer I could load or unload in less than 10 minutes and you could do that with a weak back too.

The enclosed trailer actually takes longer to load and unload as I have to use a winch for the car.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
here is how I view this;

when you tow the vehicle with rear tires turning the drive shaft and the engine is not running:

With the engine off.. there is no lube to the transmission parts. the drive shaft is turning the planetary gears. Bushings and gears have no pressure lube to them.

There is no splash lube since the oil is in the bottom of the trans away from moving parts

how many miles would result in damage? I am not sure on that.

Would you operate an engine with "no" lubrication for 1 mile or 15 miles?

·
I'd Rather Be Blown
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK this is good info and no i would not even start the engine without oil SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what are your feelings on towing a short distance 15 to 20 miles with the engine running at an idle will that be enough oil to lube the trans??????????? thanks for you input L~

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
I think you are right. The trailer is the best bet.

If you were to get caught in traffic and it took an hour instead of 15 minutes, the motor might not like that.

Since you have a bad back, you might consider a tilt bed trailer so you don't have to lift the ramps. My ramps weigh a good 75 pounds and I have to lift them and turn them around from the stowed position. You could probably get some aluminum ramps made that would be around 35 pounds but it is still a lot to dead lift with a weal back. You would probably need a winch but Harbor Freight has a 3000# one on sale for about $80. I just got a Super Winch 3000# for $100 on sale. Don't chince on a winch get a strong one. 3000# is plenty for the T.

It would be a little dicey driving the T-bucket up the tilting ramp. I've seen it done with a lot heavier cars but it doesn't look like a good thing to do.

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
bentwings said:
Harbor Freight has a 3000# one on sale for about $80.
I bought one of those and didn't notice until I had it mounted that the spool rate on those is 6 feet per minute!! :pain: That means it will take about 3 minutes to pull my T into the trailer from the end of the ramp. Seems like a long time to me.

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
My Super Winch is the same. It takes a while to load the enclosed trailer by myself.

I just hauled a little car home for a friend that had a flat tire and one rear wheel locked up. The SW just pulled it right up the ramp no problem. Great winch. We hooked up my recovery strap and yanked it out of the trailer at his house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.