Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 700R4 that i believe is from an astro van which would make it a V6 trans. I was told it worked fine except it had no overdrive. First off, what would cause it to have a problem with just overdrive and nothing else?

Second. What would it take to make a 700r4 capable of handling a stock or almost stock 700R4 in a 79 Chevy truck with a 454 and 4.10 gears? It will need to be CAPABLE of towing 7 or 8 thousand pounds. My work trailer does not weigh that but it might by the time i get done with it. This truck will only be used as a backup truck in case my other truck breaks down. I cannot afford to be down. The truck may be used to haul some light stuff from time to time or be driven around town empty some (this is part of the reason for the 4.10s and the 700r4[overdrive], that and the 3.06 first gear) I could just use a 4L80E but that gets expensive FAST. I think a 700r4 with corvette parts and additional clutches and a large transmission cooler would do the job.

What do you guys think of this and what exactly do I need to have done? Transmissions aren't my specialty...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not interested in the 700R4 for the overdrive while towing. I want the 4.10s to help tow with, but need the overdrive to get those RPM's down when not towing. That is where the concern is. The 3.06 first gear with the 4.10s would sure be nice too.

The truck has a TH400 (that may need rebuilt) right now but it also has 3.07 gears and a 305 engine. It's all getting changed around, since I need to be able to haul a trailer should my 96 3/4 ton ever break down (like it is right now). A broken down truck costs me money, and not just because i have to buy parts, but because the truck tows my trailer which makes me money. Because of this, i need a backup.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Keep the t-400 trans and

Buy a Gear Vendors over drive unit. Very tough and durable

22% over with the GV unit

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will not use another small block. Small blocks and me dont get along. I LOVED my last 454, the only reason I dont still have it is because it got water inside it during the 2 year storage period that it was out of the truck it came from.

As for the gear vendor unit, if i could find one for a good price I would go with that. Otherwise I might as well go for a 4L80E setup, It would be the same price or cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.