Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just spent a couple of evenings bonding the scoop to my bonnet on my 93 Toyolet peekup.
What I started with, cowl scoop riveted to the bonnet

In primer, I forgot to take progress pictures. I used Loctite Hysol 4500 to bond it to the hood, fiberglass cloth over the flange to give a smooth contour to fill over, everglass over that and the Rage Gold, primer was Featherfill G2, Paint is Nason FulThane black single stage urethane.

Picture with sponge is the hood in primer but wet from sanding.
This one is painted and I have no intention of color sanding, the metal work was not up to par, I was sort of pressed for time.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
is that a Tacoma or just the pickup? I have a '91 DLX 4x4 5spd that I'm cleaning up a bit..

truck looks really good. mines just basic and I recently swapped the full bench for a split 60/40 from an SR5 X cab

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
yea, if it's not a Tacoma, it's just a pickup, and they designated them with trim and option levels. Like SR-5 and DLX. SR-5's got nicer interiors, but were only offered with the SR-5 4cyl.. 350 looks like it fits nice in there.

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Been there done it and paid the price later on.
MY advice is,
Go to Fusor's site and choose the PROPER adhesive for bonding and be DONE with it.
Last glass to metal hood scoop I did was with their product and it's formulated to allow for the expansion compensation and works like a dream.
WELL worth the bucks and no "call backs".
Not that your work isn't good Cyclops,but this takes a LOT less time,material, and effort.
Fusor
116,117 bonding adhesive.
Investigate their whole site man,VERY informative...... :thumbup:

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used the Loctite Hysol for quite a few years and knock on wood no call backs. The fiberglass laid over top was to give a smoother transition with less sharp edges for filler to crack at. I used the fiberglass on top of the scoop flange and onto the hood, then I filled over top of it. I kept adding and sanding until I had the transition the way I wanted it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.