Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great running 1992 Toyota 4x4, 22RE, 5 speed, standard cab. Body is badly beaten and interior is torn up. I bought a 1993 Toyota 4x4 with V6, Auto, with a very clean body and interior.

Can I swap engine, trans, transfer, front and rear end into the newer chassis and still meet all California smog requirements? Even direction on where I can find a conclusive answer would be helpful.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
My understanding from California is same year or newer engine. No exceptions. But the 22re was used in 1993 so unless there's a date code you should be ok, unless you got to retain the original bill of sale for the engine stating its original vehicle.

If the bell housing pattern is the same, use the 3vze v6. It not a turd pile, just not quite the 300k mile engine the 22re is. But having driven both in a 5spd, the v6 Is way more enjoyable due to not being a snail

·
Old(s) Fart
5,630 Posts
The problem is that the VIN will show that the truck originally came with a V6. The emissions test facility SHOULD (not saying they will, but should) flag this as an engine swap. As soon as that happens, you're off to a referee station, where they will need to verify that the engine and associated emissions equipment are correct for a 1993 truck. If the 1992 and 1993 trucks are identical as far as equipment and ECU programming are concerned, this should pass, but if there are any differences, expect problems.

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,070 Posts
The answer to your question I think will be no. The simple reason is your four banger will have different smog emission #s then the six and the smog equipment involved with both engine set ups will be different. CA law requires that all of the smog stuff must meet what came from the factory in the vehicle you are registering.
This might help. I would also go to a Referee Station and ask a bunch of questions.
It doesn't hurt to ask.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

https://https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
I have a great running 1992 Toyota 4x4, 22RE, 5 speed, standard cab. Body is badly beaten and interior is torn up. I bought a 1993 Toyota 4x4 with V6, Auto, with a very clean body and interior.

Can I swap engine, trans, transfer, front and rear end into the newer chassis and still meet all California smog requirements? Even direction on where I can find a conclusive answer would be helpful.
Probably not California law states the replacing engine must meet the emissions requirement of the receiving vehicle if the vehicle is newer than the engine. The assumption is newer begets a higher level of emissions requirement. In your case in a practical maybe no difference if both are OBD I but that will be an argument settled by the BAR referee.

Bogie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts