Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a lot of negative feedback from paint vendors relative to use of their product(s) with turbine paint systems. I purchased a turbine unit from TP Tools and had a real bad experience with DupliColor's "Paint Shop" products when applied with the turbine. DupliColor's tech support department told me that their product (solvent based?) should never be used with a turbine based on the heat generated by the turbine. I recently contacted Summit and their supplier's tech department inquiring about their SS acrylic urethane and they both advised me against using their product with a turbine set-up. I then called TP Tools and they informed me that the SS acrylic urethane will work if I utilize the slow (High temp) activator and hardner. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has some real world experience with turbines, the type and manufacturer of paint utilized and any other tips. I am looking to paint my all steel (bare metal-never primed or finished) lakes modified (body, chassis and suspension components) in gloss black with a CC. I am not opposed to using acrylic enamel and would appreciate any brand name recommendations. Thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
When I responded to the other thread, I was not aware of the compressor, just the gun.

There would be pro’s and con’s to this set up.

This type of setup would not be good for the novice as most hold their guns too far away from the surface with excessive air pressure and tend to move their gun too fast. Spraying under the above conditions causes the paint to start drying prior to reaching the surface. In thick applications, orange peel is the effect. When thinned to compensate for the orange peel a dry haze or opiate finish will occur.

When applying warm enamel or urethane it should not be applied on a cold car or on a car in a low ambient temperature room as it will not adhere and runs will occur.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
The turbine systems just do not seem to work with automotive paint well..auto paints are formulated to dry very quickly and the heat of a turbine system causes some issues..Believe it if there was a good turbine system out there that worked well the shops would be using it..

Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TP Tools Turbine Systems

Thanks for the input. After considerable research I have arrived at the conclusion the TP Tool Turbine is not well suited for the home based hot rodder. I base my conclusion on the numerous issues with urethanes and clear coats (unless of course you are like to conduct chemistry experiments sorting out activator/hardner blend ratios) and a lack of feedback from anyone who has actually had a good experience with a TP Tools Turbine. I typically research major expenditures to death prior to parting with any cash and frankly cannot fathom why I made this purchase without more research. Buyer beware! Anyone interested in buying a TP Tools Turbine System with both guns...........cheap? Only used once with disastrous results.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very astute there professor, and welcome.

If there's any shortcuts to success, we got em right here. We may have huffed too much paint in our day but if you stick around you'll learn a few things.

Getting the compressor, air lines and gun setup is an expensive proposition, unless you get lucky and find quality used stuff cheap. Speaking of cheap, the paint products aren't, and neither are redos, so get it right the first time. Cheaping out on a too small compressor or crapola gun isn't cheap at all when you screw up the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.