Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested for a long time and now i would to try my hand in fuel injection. I'm on a budget and have to keep things relatively cheap(no 2 grand + out of the box efi setups here) So I have been looking into tpi injection because they are cheap. my plan is to put one on my 283 and get it to run with little after market parts, i plan on using a megasquirt or genboard cpu.

If I could pull that off my next step would be forced induction via a turbo. My question is what is the tpi's capabilities? For sure if I did get it running and progressed to forced induction, I would swap out the injectors, throttle body, intake runners. But how much power could the tpi manifold support?, I've seen them on sb400 with about 400hp, but I'm looking somewhere down the road to put this on a built 350 and shoot for 500+hp. Would I be wasting my time and money to use a tpi?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Sounds good

Parts are cheap..it is the education that costs money..:pain: I think you are on a good track..once you get the first one sorted out and running good you will have gained a lot of knowledge as to how to do the next one...

You mentioned in the future swapping out the runners and various parts so yes 500 hp can be gotten with the right combo..just takes some work and noodling to get there..:thumbup:

OMT

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
You are going to have to change the runners, and manifold to get the kind of airflow your going to want for that kind of power. You'll also want to modify the plenum or get an aftermarket plenum. For 500 hp I'd be getting the super ram or something of that nature or the TPIS or Accel BIg mouth and then porting it a good bit. They are bigger as it is, but could use a port job for the kind of power you want to make. I know a few people making right around 490-500 RWHP using a TPI system (however this is not on a 350 but rather a 406). It does take quite a bit of work but can be done.

You are going to want to go with a Speed Density TPI. They are a little bit easier to work with especially for supercharging or turbo charging it, and more aftermarket manifolds are made for this type of setup (the holley stealth ram being one main one).

However I'd wait to goto the bigger manifold and runners and plenum until you get the 350. On the smaller engine you'll benefit by having the tighter runners and more air velocity. You might try and pull one from a 305 as the fuel mapping will be a bit closer to what you need than if you pulled one from a 350 engine. If you are using an open source computer then no worries, its all in your hands.

Good luck. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.