Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know the facts and Opinion on a TPI system Vs. A carburated system. Which one can produce the most power and torque, as well I wanted to know which system would be more all around rely able?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, a friend of mine has a built up carbed 350 in his 87 trans am with new edelbrock air gap intake, holley carb, cam, and it's a 5 speed, and my TPI 305 in my 86 TA with just a cam and roller rockers and auto tranny whoops him pretty badly. Not to mention tpi is better on gas, and runs perfect in all weather conditions, so I would definately go TPI.

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
The carb will make more horsepower but the tpi will have a lot more torque (car should be quicker if it's a mild build). If your planning on staying below 5000-5500 rpm the TPI would be the best choice.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
It really depends on the given engine and what you want. I dont think a carb will make more power on a given situation compared to a TPI. Carbs have the capactiy to make equal power but no where near the efficiency of a TPI. You can do a lot of good things with carbs, but if they were really overall better, you'd still see them on cars today. IMO there are just so many more options and things you can do with a MPFI setup than a carb.

If you can handle the added expense and more intricate setup (as far as wiring and whatnot goes), I'd definitely go for the TPI.

While its true that stock TPI's are only good for power till about 4900 RPM, this is overcome with aftermarket base manifolds and runners.

You'll get good arguements on both sides of the fence but I say if you can get your hands on a TPI then go for it. You'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Go with the fuel injection man. Sure it's more of a hassle when it comes to puttting it together, but once you know how to use it tuning isn't much of a problem. Fuel effeciency is usually better with FI, you also get more consistent EGT cylinder to cylinder because of more precise fuel distribution and better atomization, and it's also much easier for cold starts and daily driving. FI is the future of hotrodding, so get on board while you're still ahead of the game.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
This whole carb will make more HP arguement is just BS. The carb might make more power than an oem TPI, but if you are using good parts and a good ECU the EFI is leaps and bounds better and will likely make more power. With EFI the engine can be tuned for a perfect AFR through the entire RPM range and you are not left with bad spots that are not tuned properly like with a carb. If you are concerned about power go with something like the Edelbrock system that uses the Victor Jr. Intake as a base. It will certainly not limit your power production. If for some reason you were trying to build a monster, go with a Dart or something converted for EFI and the largest TB you can find.

Oh and dont fall into that "EFI cam grind" BS either. EFI cam grinds are made for ECU's that are not tunable for crap. You can run whatever kind of cam you like if you have the right equipment.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts