Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys heres the deal i have an 87 305 camaro and i replace the tps today and it started running better, then i noticed that sometimes the idle would jump like you can feel the jump when sitting at a stop then it will die and after that you can start it back up and it runs fine again. someone please help its giving me a headach trying to figure this thing out

·
Registered
77 Posts
It sounds like a sensor problem. You can buy a cheap code reader at Auto Zone for about 30 bucks. It comes with a book to explain how to read the codes. My 86 IROC gave me similar a head ache so I bought the tool to read the codes. You can also jump the A and B terminals on the diagnostic port and pull the codes that way but you will need a hanes or chiltons manual to interpret them. Later

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had a similar problem on my 76 blazer that we put a tpi system on, my dad and i were driving and the check engine light came on and it would stall at idle so we wiggled the wires that go to the computer and the problem went away until we closed the glove box, we found out that one of the wires had a short. we spiced the wire, soldered it and covered it. we haven't had a problem yet.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Ya know Jo5hi3 I am trying to help you but your not making it easy. I have asked a couple of times that you post your sensor info (since you now have a scanner) but you still havent. With a system such as yours this is vital information and could help a lot in determining your problem. Also what is your fuel pressure? What does it do under acceleration? What is your base timing set at?

I am more than willing to help but comon you have to follow through. This is like the 4th thread you have started about these similar (and probably related) problems. Stick with one and hopefully we can get all the way through it.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Listen to Siggy

Siggy_Freud said:
Ya know Jo5hi3 I am trying to help you but your not making it easy. I have asked a couple of times that you post your sensor info (since you now have a scanner) but you still havent. With a system such as yours this is vital information and could help a lot in determining your problem. Also what is your fuel pressure? What does it do under acceleration? What is your base timing set at?

I am more than willing to help but comon you have to follow through. This is like the 4th thread you have started about these similar (and probably related) problems. Stick with one and hopefully we can get all the way through it.
Jo5hi3 -
I have a 91' GTA with a 5.7 TPI (speed-density) system. I could have never got it running properly by myself without a scanner and using all the information gathered.

You replaced the TPS. What did you set the voltage at? It needs to be about 0.60 volts with the throttle blades closed. If you have that set correctly, I would put a new IAC (idle air controller) in it. They are fairly inexpensive and when bad create jumpy idles.

Bottom line, listen to Siggy. He is only a few years older than you, but certainly has studied and understands the TPI systems well.

Good luck! Wait a minute - I once read a fortune cookie that said "Good Luck is the result of good planning." Seems like you need to listen to Siggy and give us some more information. Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
305 TPI problems

i actually have a few problems. i have a 305 tip in my camaro and im only getting about 14.9 maybe 15 miles to a gallon??? i know i should be getting better than that. and yes my timing is correct.

2: ill turn the key to start it and it wont start then i let the fuel pump, pump more into the engine then i turn it a second time and it finally starts. it takes to long for it to start and i dk y.

3: when i try adjusting the tps is throws the check engine light on so it wont let me adjust it i took it into auto one and it test out that its fine??? help???

4: when i have the timing set to where its supposed to be it runs ****ty, like it dont have power i mean it runs but i mean lol i bet i could pedal on my bike faster than it accelerates, so naturally i advance my timing. ne help with that???? i mena i have a truck with a 305 and its carberated and its getting 14.5 so i know for sure i should be getting around 20 at least....help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
305 TPI problems again

the last problem i have is when it sits for a few hours or just when u start it up for the first time like when u get up in the morning or when ever no matter how cold or hot it is out side....cuz i mean my car sits in a heated garage...ne ways......after i get it started i try reving it up and it wants to die but if i do it gradually it will go. it does this for a like a minute untill the engine starts to warm up a bit then its fine idk y it does that....no other camaro with a tpi does that y does mine>????? i noticed also when its doing that and i try reving it up u can hear a lil back fire

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
06andersen said:
the last problem i have is when it sits for a few hours or just when u start it up for the first time like when u get up in the morning or when ever no matter how cold or hot it is out side....cuz i mean my car sits in a heated garage...ne ways......after i get it started i try reving it up and it wants to die but if i do it gradually it will go. it does this for a like a minute untill the engine starts to warm up a bit then its fine idk y it does that....no other camaro with a tpi does that y does mine>????? i noticed also when its doing that and i try reving it up u can hear a lil back fire
Seems to lead to the cold start routine.

Bogie

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
06andersen said:
ya but whats wrong with it?
While I hate to just throw parts at things, I'd start with the assumption that the dedicated engine temp sensor, not to be confused with the sensor that operates the temp gauge, is faulty. This sends engine temp info to the computer which is adjusting mixture ratios based on that info. Below about 165 it should have the injection in the cold start mode which is rich. If the engine doesn't want to take throttle when "cold" and will backfire, this is a good sign that the computer has come out of (or never went into) cold start mode which results in a lean mixture during this period. Off the top of my head, I don't remember if the 87 uses the 9th cold start injector or not; if it does you may also consider it or its wiring to be a possible problem as well.

You should read down any codes it's throwing. These OBD I codes are not always right on the money, but can often give you some insight as to where the problem is when you think through the system logic.

Bogie

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I am confused. Make a new post for your problem instead of bringing up such and old one :).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts