Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a set of Comp Engineering Slider Link bars. Upon trying to install them I ran into the front bracket clamping the two spring leafs together.
I called them, they said to cut the offending spring off :confused:
If I do this I'll end up removing the bushing between them and the band will be very close to the clamp. But I can slide it down the spring a little.
Just really hate to cut a perfectly good set of springs. Wish they had put that in the installation instructions that I down loaded and read "before" ordering, I might have gone a different route. I've already pressed the Aluminum front bushings in.

Also their "bolt on" subframe connector? Supposed to fit with out interference? Not! it hits the floor. They said to cut the floor. WHAT! :mad: That's why I bought "bolt on"
Now I'll have to cut and profile them to miss the floor. After I cut them up I'll box them in again.
Just chaps my butt to have to modify stuff when up front you ask if it's really bolt on and are told yes by Comp and Summit.

Just ruins the day to run into crap like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's another "quality" part from Comp Engineering. :nono:

I went ahead and cut the spring and got one side assembled. Went to do the other side and the pin wouldn't go through. Took it back out to check it.
GEEZ, this is crap. :drunk:

Not to mention the profile cutting I'm doing on the subframe connectors today. Once I get them cut and fit I'll post a pic of them, and send it to Rob Moroso as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
428ho said:
Here's another "quality" part from Comp Engineering. :nono:

I went ahead and cut the spring and got one side assembled. Went to do the other side and the pin wouldn't go through. Took it back out to check it.
GEEZ, this is crap. :drunk:

Not to mention the profile cutting I'm doing on the subframe connectors today. Once I get them cut and fit I'll post a pic of them, and send it to Rob Moroso as well.
You are right that is crap! Should have been caught before it was sent out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got some answers from them.

He said on some aftermarket springs the second leaf must be trimmed. Fine, but these are not after market springs. Oh!!! his reply.

Admits the bracket is screwed up, wanted me to ship it back before shipping me a new one, that would be into next week getting it putting me 3 weeks behind as I was supposed to have the rear under last week but they were closed all week for the holidays. Finally got them to agree to send me one and I'll send this one back today. I'm stuck with return shipping cost.

Subframe connectors, he said that on most F body cars they have to be cut and profiled to fit, or cut the floor.
My suggestions was for them to put all this in the instructions up front.
Here's how much I'm having to cut out, I'll trial fit it and box it back in.

Overall I'm not to happy with Moroso (Competition Engineering) at the moment.

Attachments

·
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw
682 Posts
My frame connectors hit the floor as well. It didnt stick up as bad as yours so I cut the floor and the top of the connector is now my floor. It only sticks up about 1/8" if that and is only about 5" long

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I had been considering using these same parts on my car when I get to that point. I will not be going with competition engineering after seeing this crap. :nono: I would use a cheaper brand if I new I was going to have to heavily modify the (bolt on) parts anyway. If that makes sense. :confused: Its early.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I wasn't concerned about uncut floors I would have gone with some weld in units. But I wanted to be able to remove them and go back stock at some point without having to replace floor pans again.

Chassis Engineering said they have one that clears the floor but they are weld in and you loose a little ground clearance as well. Seems silly to have a weld in that clears and a bolt in that doesn't.
Guess on an F body you're kinda screwed. Might as well fabricate your own.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh this just keeps getting better.
After I sent the bracket back to Moroso I was expecting my new one today, it didn't come in. So I called and E-mailed Scott Hall at Moroso to inquire why.
Turns out it's "out of stock"
So I call Summit since I know they have the full kit in stock, but I can't return mine because Moroso has my bracket and Summit can't pull the bracket from a kit.
Now I'm told I can buy another kit and return my old one incomplete, and "hopefully" get credit for it.
Summit said I should have called them first, I did, they're the ones that said to call Moroso (Comp Eng), then he said "well you should have called us back before shipping the part back" How the hell was I supposed to know to do that?
As far as my modified frame connectors, Summit won't take them back, understandable but now I either have to wait on a part or buy a new kit.
If I send it all back I have to get the old part back from Moroso, throw the connectors in the trash and buy new leaf springs as I cut mine per Moroso.

:smash: :boxing: :spank: :evil:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Got time for a long story???????

Last year with a little extra cash in my pocket (and not my girlfriend's) I decided I wanted to replace the 20 + year old SS Cragars on my other BelAir Hardtop. So we head over to Jeg's one saturday after I'd called to confirm their 11 avenue store would have the SS wheels I wanted when I got there. We get to Jeg's, I take one of my old SS wheels with me "Just In Case" and it's a good thing cause the new wheels have less backspacing then my wheels do. So we go home without the wheels.

A week or so later I order two new SS Cragars from Summit. They arrive and look great. But when I try one wheel on the back of my car I notice:
A. The new wheels have less backspacing then my wheels.
B. The wheel hits part of my bolt on traction bar.

It's either replace the wheel with one that has the correct backspacing or take off tractions bars all together, take traction bars off and cut off offending piece on them then re-paint and re-install. I talk it over with my girlfriend and parents. They tell me to return the new wheels. And I also find out can order custom made SS wheels from Cragar themselves. But have to do it through someone like Summit or Jeg's.

Since I'd already paid for the new wheels, adding the extra cash to have custom made wheels wasn't far off so I did it.

It took over 10 weeks to finally get the wheels I wanted. One time Summit shipped me wheels ment for some poor guy in California and I live in Ohio. Through all of this Summit was great to me. Infact A-1. Their customer service rep Hobert was great support. He went out of his way to help me during this.

I finally get the wheels I want, I get them home, take them out of the boxes and notice they have deep grooves scratched in them. In the inside area where the tires set. I know no one but me will see this but I complained to Summit who offered to have the wheels re-made or refund some of my money. I decided to keep these wheels and Summit refunded $75 of my money.

So now I have the new SS Cragars I wanted with the backspacing I need to keep my traction bars on my car.

One thing, the traction bars on my other Hardtop are the kind sold for 1960s Camaros/Firebirds. But with a little work to the mounting plates they will bolt to a '57 Chevy rear and leaf springs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would have sent the whole mess back to Summit. They have always been good about returns with me, they will even pay for the return postage. I'm glad they don't make a kit for my truck. I was thinking of getting them myself. It's amazing to me that a part that bad could get out the door!

I bought my set of traction bars for my 58 Chevy pu from calvert racing. Spendy but they are beautifull, Expert tig welds, and flawless powder coating.

Jordon

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Ah, modern day quality and modern day customer service. You're lucky you got somebody that spoke English/ American........ Don't ya just love it?

I am not sure what you cut on your springs. It looks to me that the clamp could have been tapped rearward to give clearance.

I think we all should learn from this experience to check everything in a kit before starting any installation (install is a verb).

Caveat Emptor. :thumbup:

x

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you notice the two springs would have been pinched together creating a bind, so the second leaf had to be trimmed back far enough to clear the bracket. There's a U-clamp that holds the bracket to the spring.
I'll get a pic of them finished "IF" I ever get it assembled.

Update, my parts didn't come in today so I called Summit, turns out Scott at Moroso never bothered to give Al at Summit the go ahead to ship. They talked about it but never ok'd it. Didn't bother telling me either.

While he apologizes very well, he doesn't follow through it seems. Good ol customer dis-service.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
428ho said:
If you notice the two springs would have been pinched together creating a bind, so the second leaf had to be trimmed back far enough to clear the bracket. There's a U-clamp that holds the bracket to the spring.

Seriously?? They told you to cut off the second leaf? I have never heard of that before.
I thought the purpose was to stiffen the forward end of the spring so it wouldn't hop. Cutting off the second leaf just makes the spring more flexible. :confused: Did you ever see the slapper bars on Novas and Camaros that bend the spring leaf when they push up?

I did/do mine like Mopar Super Stock springs and have good luck without the traction bars hanging down. stealth

edited: I'd like to see the spring cutting directions in writing. I think you got improper incorrect verbal directions. I think whomever you talked to made you ruin your springs for nothing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.