Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Traction lok vs Detroit Locker

Yeah Im a Ford Guy . Im not much on Chevy's ? But a Ford traction Lock is a Dual pinion houseing Differential . << Has a Pumpkin . Pull both Axles Pumpkin drop's out the front of the Differential .

Several version's of Ford traction Lok's are out there some are single pinion gear's
Some are Dual pinion Gears .
In ford 9 In usually found in F - Series truck's Up until the F-250 Or 3/4 Tonn .
Come in Several Gear Ratio's 2;77 Is usually the smaller F-100 Series truck's and usually single pinion .
the 3;83 Ring and pinion is usually the Dual pinion houseing differential , and found in the F-150 Series truck's .
As too why Ford's traction Lock is often referd too as the Limited Slipp Differential ?
I really have no Idea ! There not technically a Limited slipp differential .
Least not the way I understand Limited Slipp !
My understanding of the Limited slipp Differential is that a Limited slipp differential has Clutch plate's ?
Fords traction Lok has no Clutch plates !
In the Old day's it was Also my understanding that Dragg racer's Use too Lock Differential's So that both wheel's turned Evenly ?
Great for Dragg racing but not much on Goin around Corners I think ?
Sean

·
Registered
29 Posts
Traction Loc

I do not have much knowledge on this issue but on my 79 F150 I replaced the clutch plates in my 9 inch diff. And Ford just warrantied and replaced the clutches in my 2004 F150 which I know is not a 9 inch but it is still a limited slip rear diff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Traction Loc Diff's are a clutch type differential while Detroit Lockers are ratchet type. Trac Loc's are more quiet and can hadle a significant amount of power. It's my understanding that it really gets worked on a road course because of it always switching the traction bias from side to side. Detroit Lockers are more noisy and you can actually feel them engage and disengage. Unless you're going to be doing come severe racing or off-roading I'd use the Trac Lok. Just my 2 cents worth :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Detroit Lockers are NOISY ... very noisy in a open car ... I have one in my 32 Ford roadster ... but I like it ... course ... I have had it for 30 years ...

I installed a Traction - Lok in my 32 3W ... mainly because I had one ...
My Detroit Locker came from a 69 Boss 302 Mustang ... in 1971 ;) ;)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I did some hunting and found three traction lock ford 9 inch rearends for $100 each but they are getting harder and harder to find-damn scrap prices have killed 50% of the old car inventory in my area within the last four years! The rebuild kit is about $60 from Ford.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
baddbob said:
I did some hunting and found three traction lock ford 9 inch rearends for $100 each but they are getting harder and harder to find-damn scrap prices have killed 50% of the old car inventory in my area within the last four years! The rebuild kit is about $60 from Ford.
That's a super bargain Bob.

I rarely see them anymore, and they usually bring $300 for the chunk.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Positive locking differentials are dangerous in slippery conditions as they can make your vehicle either push straight ahead in a turn or spin out.

Limited slip differentials are my preference for any street driving for safety, noise, and general usability in marginal traction conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts