Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had a offer on a project car thats a long way from done a 72 espirt with trans am body styling and ws6 sway bars and suspension also 12 bolt rear essetianlly its just the body i took off the rear subframe due to rust no motor(im not willing to give it up) trans or interior but paint is decent and no other body cancer should i give it up for a running grandville its a convertible with a 455 and decent paint and body needs interior and motor seems to be tired but i figure i could fix it and sell it for more i noticed alot of kids like 70's boats now with big rims and systems i figure since i got a set of 22's thatll fit the car and could drop in a decent system fix the interior to whats in style today seems to be suede still and paint it black with a white top i may be able to get a decent amount of money for it i donno what you guys think i dont know the work of a pontiac grandville thats a 72 and donno if i bring it to what is in style today that i could sell it for a perfect condition 70's trans am alittle lost on what is the better idea

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have never heard of a "espirt" but assume you're talking about a Firebird model.
If you're keeping your engine/trans and complete rear suspension and this guy actually wants to give you a running/driving Grandville convertible that still has a floor in it and rocker panels AND a Big Block, then heck yes do the trade! You may discover you'll like driving a big impressive convertible.
One thing you need to think about, don't give him any boot(money or parts extra) in the trade. He who wants to trade is the guy who pays, if anybody pays.
That Grandville may be a new interest for you or not, but I believe, if you want to turn it into money, estimate realistically what the work and materials will cost to get it ready to sell (more money there if the car is closer to stock than all jacked up, I think), what it realistically might sell for, and what your "perfect" Firebird will cost. DO the math, check parts and material cost and make up your mind.
I had a friend who financed all his car doings by buying and trading and selling cars like that Grandville convert. He did keep a project or two along the way but never strayed too much from finishing his 66 GT Mustang fastback for his son, and his 52 Chevy Coupe for himself. His best buy??..a red 67 Chevrolet Impala SuperSport Convertible with a 396, auto, "reverb" stereo, many factory accessories for $750 out of an apartment complex parking lot. AND, he waited 3 months before buying the car after he first saw and inspected it. He thought the original asking price of $1200 was too high for the car in our area!! He was right! He bought the car, dirty, lots of trash & stuff in the floorboards and trunk, running rough and shifting poorly. Took it home, scrubbed the outside, tires, hubcaps, pulled the interior out of it, scrubbed the nasty carpet back to pretty red, scrubbed the seats, polished all the interior trim pieces, reassembled the interior. Scrubbed the convertible top back as close to the white as he could, same with the red boot cover. Changed the oil and filter, bought new hoses(heater and all), changed the transmission filter and fluid, adjusted and bled the brakes, adjusted the shift linkage, powerwashed the undercarriage at the car wash. Reverse flushed the radiator and heater core, changed the coolant, and replaced the thermostat in the engine. Did a throrough tune-up on the engine. Car ran good, stopped good, drove and shifted good, looked good.
He had invested a couple weeks spare time, spent a hundred dollars or so, on a car he knew he could love if he kept it. Then, on a beautiful sunny SPring weekend, he put the top down, installed the red boot cover, put the car at the base of the driveway with a "For Sale" sign in the window.
AND collected $4500 for his troubles. Sometimes you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Grandville is a hulking pile O crap. The Firebird is a much more collectible car. Buy the grandview for a few hundred bucks and put the 455 in the Firebird. Those Trans Am conversions fetch a pretty penny on Ebay.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea im torn between choices my thinking is i got another project with more personal value than my firebird and looking on ebay it seems 455 grandvilles go for 2000 or more rough and 6 or more with stuff done to them id like to just keep one project and follow through to the end thats the reason why i consider the trade the good thing is i constantly find other birds and camaros in my area in great condition california cars since im from here little or no rust mine was a east coast bird and i found some rust in hidden spots also i know a guy with a 69 bird with a 400 that comes with it thats already in better shape than mine for 1500 but assembly is required maybe some rims on the ville with a decent radio and a backyard paint job i can do i could get 4 or so gangster wanna bes around here would love the titanic on wheels

1 - 4 of 4 Posts